This week in MMO crowdfunding,
released a new cinematic trailer featuring characters checking out derelict ships in-game, both on the surface and in space. Note the scope of the vessels, voiceovers, music, and female toons (finally!), not to mention the distinct Star Wars/ Star Citizen Jakku vibe and Firefly inspiration.
talked up its building parts, Crowfall teased its alpha, and Brad McQuaid mused on Valiance Online philosophy. Pantheon’s
Read on for more on what’s up with MMO crowdfunding over the last week and the regular roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’ve got our eye on.
Star Citizen cinematic
VIDEO Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- After last week's truncated update, the Camelot Unchained team is roaring back with another one of its extensive and informative newsletters. Lots of progress on numerous fronts was reported, including…
Camelot Unchained works on an indoor space for players to explore
- Do you have visions of what your mighty castle fortress will look like in Crowfall's eternal kingdom? To help with your fertile imagination -- keep your eyes on the road…
Crowfall gives a sneak peek at its new eternal kingdom building blocks
- The sixth week of beta testing of Path of Exile's next expansion is kicking off, and the good news is that the developers still aren't planning any wipes for the…
Path of Exile updates fans on the state of Fall of Oriath’s beta
- Is it possible for one game to think of every little detail in a fictional universe? Star Citizen's various teams are certainly trying to cover all of their bases to…
Star Citizen’s derelict ships offer dangerous excitement, plus new Lost & Found cinematic
- While Diablo III fans have their shiny (decaying) Necromancer to play with, Grim Dawn players are still tapping impatiently as they wait for the first expansion for this action-RPG to…
Grim Dawn takes you on tour with the new Inquisitor
- "We're pretty sure you'd rather play the game before the heat death of the universe than have us hand-craft an entire worldwide ecology from the smallest ant to the biggest…
Chronicles of Elyria is using voxel models for its upcoming MUD
- When an MMO is deep in development, it's natural for players to want to know the answers to everything, down to the tiniest detail, like can I have a purple…
Pantheon’s Brad McQuaid on skill memorization, mana management, and combat prep
- A couple of weeks ago, when Osiris: New Dawn introduced new classes, I'd delved back into the sci-fi survival sandbox after a bit of a break to check out the…
The Survivalist: Osiris New Dawn is doing early access right even amid disappointments
- If you're just now tuning into Chronicles of Elyria after an extended absence, then welcome to Tribesmania! That's the informal term we're giving to the recent and extended focus that…
Chronicles of Elyria won’t stop talking about tribes
- Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen's July newsletter is one of its better ones, featuring a Q&A with Visionary Realms' Brad McQuaid himself. A few highlights: McQuaid is touting vertical interdependence, the idea…
Pantheon’s Brad McQuaid on ‘vertical interdependence,’ WoW killers, and attracting nontraditional MMO players
- Fenix Fire CEO Brian McRae is "not having fun either," according to his latest dev blog on the Osiris: New Dawn Steam page. His comments are in response to what…
Osiris New Dawn CEO to community grumping: ‘I will take these lashings and learn from them’
- Barreling toward this month's Release 44, Shroud of the Avatar is (ahem) fleshing out its Elven population with better models and even female models. Elf-lovers need not soil their breeches…
Shroud of the Avatar’s Portalarium transitions into publishing, may consider partnerships
- Chronicles of Elyria has revealed the lore and stats of another pair of its races, which Soulbound Studios calls Tribes, in case you're confused! The To'resk are a cautious and patient…
Chronicles of Elyria reveals more races: The To’resk and Waerd
- Hearing that something is coming "soon" is the bane of every MMO player; it technically qualifies as a time frame, but it's vague and unclear and could mean any point…
Valiance Online says its alpha is coming soon
- Indie MMORPG Project Gorgon has a new Kickstarter post up detailing how far it's come since its successful Kickstarter two years ago. "Since the Project: Gorgon Kickstarter Campaign ended, we have implemented:…
Here’s how far indie MMORPG Project Gorgon has come in two years
- Whether you love or loathe the early access survival sandbox genre, you've got Dean Hall's DayZ to thank for it, although he's had far less luck with recent titles. Still,…
Dean Hall calls the pre-launch price hike for ARK: Survival Evolved ‘outrageous’
- The Albion Online founder community has been none too pleased about Sandbox Interactive's original decision about what non-founders would get in their starter pack when the game launches a week…
Albion Online devs apologize for starter pack snafu SOTA’s Richard Garriott
VIDEO Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful. Work continues.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; beta began Oct 2016.
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016.
(Intrepid Studios) – Successful KS. Ashes of Creation
(Cylinder) – Broke Protocol Unsuccessful KS. In free early access. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
( Caribbean Conquest Invenio) – First KS canceled, second ended unsuccessfully.
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
( Citadel of Sorcery MMO Magic, Inc.) – Open donations.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; launch planned for fall 2018.
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter over, donor preorder packs.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, now has donor platform. Alpha delayed.
( Eco Strange Loop Games) – Funded, now in alpha.
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded; in early access.
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
( Global Adventures SubaGames) – Kickstarter ends July 30.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, multiple times now.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo. Canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Funded and launched.
( Legends of Aria Citadel Studios) – Kickstarted as Shards Online. Currently in alpha.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended. Currently in beta.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Maestros of the Anthymn String Theory) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Infinity Online Studios) – Mekria Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Ad Alternum) – OrbusVR KS funded March 2017.
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations, no end date.
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Craneballs) – Planet Nomads Kickstarted, early access launched sans multiplayer.
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries + Indiegogo. In alpha.
( Pumpkin Online Monique) – Downgrading from MMORPG.
(Fairytale Distillery) – fka Das Tal; 2015 The Exiled KS unsuccesful. In Steam early access.
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
(Idea Fabrik) – Kickstarted twice by A&B. Back in alpha The Repopulation
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; now in early access.
(Tarhead Studio) – Kickstarter successful. RUiN
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Successful KS. Soft launch July 2016.
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – In middle of year-long revamp after funding surge.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017. Crowfall’s LEGO pieces