Watching Star Citizen development can feel a bit like watching Zeno’s MMO development at times, but joking aside, reaching update 3.7.0 is a milestone of no small significance. Especially since it’s up on the game’s test server now. It may be the earliest version of the patch, but it’s there for testing just the same! You can also check out those sweet financial reports if that’s more your speed.
Meanwhile, the beta world trembled with news:
- Ship of Heroes is talking about that character creator beta. Because if you aren’t spending three hours building your superhero costume, what are you even doing.
- Not to be outdone, City of Titans is teasing its patcher, showing off unisex outfits, and talking about alphas and betas in technical terms.
- Ashes of Creation is justifying its somewhat contentious battle royale testing by explaining how it has led to improvements in the main game.
- If you’re eager to try out ArcheAge Unchained, the PTS is available even as name reservations got pushed to the weekend.
- Population Zero does not want a zero population; it actually wants over 5000 people to stress-test its servers.
- Last but not least, as PlanetSide Arena continues its early access it’s introducing dynamic scaling for low-population matches. The fact that it needs to dynamically scale for low populations is… well, you can guess where that falls on the good news scale.
Thus do we close the week on betas, except that we of course still have our list down below. If something has hopped test phases or has started selling permanent cash shop items without us noticing (the scoundrels), let us know down in the comments!
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Ashes of Creation: Alpha one phase one; Apocalypse early access
Bless Unleashed: Closed beta
Camelot Unchained: Closed beta one
Children of Ur: Open alpha, further development merged with Eleven
Chronicles of Elyria: Pre-alpha
Citadel: Forged with Fire: Early access, launch on October 11th
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha, alpha now expected in 2020
Cube World: Closed beta since September 23rd
Dauntless: Open beta
Dark and Light: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Dual Universe: Alpha
ECO: Early access
Edengrad: Early access
Eleven: Closed alpha
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Kurtzpel: Closed beta
Gloria Victis: Early access on Steam
Global Adventures: Closed beta
Guardians of Ember: Open beta
Life is Feudal: Early access
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
New World: Closed alpha – back on hiatus
Occupy White Walls: Early access
Osiris: New Dawn: Open beta
Outlaws of the Old West: Early access
Pantheon: Backer pre-alpha
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
PlanetSide Arena: Early access
Project Genom: Closed alpha, servers offline for restructuring with SpatialOS
Project Gorgon: Early access beta
Prosperous Universe: Early access
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Ship of Heroes: Alpha
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Cycle: Alpha, weekly test cycle
The Repopulation: Early access alpha
Torchlight Frontiers: Closed alpha, no NDA
Valiance Online: Alpha