This week in MMO crowdfunding news,
caused an unintentional stir this week when Soulbound Studios posted that it still Chronicles of Elyria needed up to $3 million to completely finish the game. While it wasn’t exactly a secret, the revelation was still a surprise to many players as it wasn’t expressly stated in the Kickstarter earlier this year. Compounding the consternation was Soulbound’s simultaneous notice that it would not be granting refunds for Kickstarter donations. Studio boss Jeromy Walsh told Massively OP in a lengthy interview that the money raised through Kickstarter and pre-Kickstarter investment from friends and family is being used to create a minimal viable product and that while the company does plan to crowdfund using its website store, most of the remaining money will be raised through investors or publishers, not players.
Meanwhile, we offered up a checklist for
how to approach MMO Kickstarting from the player end, launched release 34, Shroud of the Avatar released its Elaine patch, Albion Online published three new signature decks, and on the planetary survival sandbox front, HEX delayed its early access to next year, while ROKH swooped into early access and announced Osiris: New Dawn console launches for 2017.
Read on for more on what’s up with MMO crowdfunding this week and the roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’ve got our eye on!
Osiris: New Dawn early access launch trailer
VIDEO Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- Yesterday evening, following the news that indie sandbox Chronicles of Elyria hoped to raise an extra $3 million in addition to its Kickstarter funding, we reached out to Soulbound Studios…
Interview: Chronicles of Elyria’s Jeromy Walsh on post-Kickstarter funding
- I am not a big fan of Kickstarter in general, but I like to think that I'm not a big fan for actual reasons rather than spurious ones. Every time…
Perfect Ten: Questions to ask before backing an MMO Kickstarter
- With PvP (and RvR) at the core of Camelot Unchained's experience, getting the combat down pat is undoubtedly essential. That's why the dev team has been working on an improved…
Camelot Unchained prototypes a new combat system
- Ever wonder what each member of an MMO development team is doing? With AdventureQuest 3D, you won't be kept in the dark; a new post on the site listed all…
AdventureQuest 3D shares team projects, 360-degree box art
- Following two successful Kickstarter campaigns, turn-based MMORPG Stash went silent for the better part of a year as Frogdice worked to shape the game. It resurfaced earlier this week on Steam,…
Tabletop-styled Stash enters Steam early access
- In this week's Around the Verse, Star Citizen's Chris Roberts and Sandi Gardiner tease CitizenCon -- now just a week away -- as team members from its global studios arrive…
Star Citizen’s dogfighting design is more about feeling right than being accurate
- Good things, they say, come in small packages. If you prefer playing diminutive characters over hulking slabs of beef, then Crowfall's Guinecean Duelist might be making a play for your…
Crowfall dives deep into the pint-sized Duelist
- You might think that trading a position as CEO of a multi-game studio to work on a single, smaller, and most decidedly indie title would be a step down in…
John Smedley says he exults in hands-on gamemaking with Hero’s Song
- Superheroes don't always wear capes at this point. There have been entire movies highlighting the need for not having capes. But it's just not a superhero game if you can't…
City of Titans shows off fully modeled capes
- Release 34 has launched for Shroud of the Avatar players as of this morning along with a large balance and polish pass for both the game's combat and its economy. Here's…
Shroud of the Avatar’s R34 delivers Halloween, culinary utility, and /pukeblood
- Albion Online might still be working its way through its final beta phase, but that hasn't stopped it from working on a content release. In fact, that content release, dubbed…
Albion Online’s ‘Elaine’ patch brings new biome and faction to beta
- If you've been thinking of The Exiled (formerly known as Das Tal) as a hardcore indie PvP sandbox where the players make the story, well, you're not entirely offbase in…
Indie sandbox The Exiled hires on a new lore writing team
- Enough slacking and lollygagging about in your humdrum life -- there's an alien planet that needs some serious colonizing, and you look just like the red shirt, er, brave adventurer to…
Osiris: New Dawn has launched on Steam early access
- Fans of Mars-themed survival sandbox ROKH, I have good news and slightly bad news. Developer Darewise originally pitched a $114,803 US Kickstarter campaign back in May to hasten production of…
Mars survival sandbox ROKH delays early access to January 2017
- Gamers Nexus has a lengthy set of video interviews out covering Star Citizen this week. CIG's Chris Roberts touches on alpha 3.0, which he says "will feel like a full…
Chris Roberts interviews shed light on Star Citizen launch, ambition, and CitizenCon
- With the opening of Chronicles of Elyria's web store next week, its team is working on the next phase of the game's fundraising campaign. In a new update, Soulbound Studios…
Chronicles of Elyria seeks $3M more in funding
- What use is a sandbox without cooking and food? Jutvy Worlds apparently agrees, as it's adding a cooking skill to indie sandbox Wild Terra "soon." The skill will "affect the…
Wild Terra adds cooking skill, Steam keys for early backers
- A bonafide expansion is in the works for the multiplayer ARPG Grim Dawn, although a name and time frame have yet to be revealed. What was shown, however, is a…
Grim Dawn delivers a sneak peek of its first expansion
- Augmented reality MMOs aren't new, but we're about to see a bunch of new ones, propelled by the unexpected success of Pokemon Go. Case in point: Maguss Wand, which isn't technically…
Harry Potter lookalike Maguss Wand plans Indiegogo for AR MMO ROKH trailer
Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful. Work continues.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised 368k; plans October launch. AdventureQuest 3D
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Fully launched! (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Open donations/packages.
Caribbean Conquest (Invenio) – Kickstarter canceled (site has been taken offline).
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Open donations/packages
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful.
( Citadel of Sorcery MMO Magic, Inc.) – Open donations.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media)
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios)
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter over, donor preorder packs.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter live now, ends October 11.
( Eco Strange Loop Games)
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded June 2016; early access coming Sept.
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrionn Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, multiple times now.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – Kickstarter canceled; Indiegogo live, ends mid-October.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Successful Kickstarter, now playable.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations, no end date.
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Craneballs) – Successful Planet Nomads Kickstarter.
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game, LLC)
( Pumpkin Online Monique)
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
( The Repopulation Above & Beyond Technologies) – In middle of engine do-over.
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; early access delayed to 2017.
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon.
( Shards Online Citadel Studios)
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Final wipe was in July 2016.
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – In middle of year-long revamp after funding surge.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017. Albion Online’s Elaine update