The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This week, Warface brought a little holiday cheer into its relentless warzones. We’ve got that plus stories and videos from Overwatch, Elder Scrolls Online, Minecraft, and more, all waiting for you after the break!
New Games and Testing
- Knights Chronicle: Netmarble is now taking pre-registrations for this anime-themed title, although it might be a little tricky if you don’t read Japanese.
- Project Genom: The team promised that the game’s content will grow “10 times” in the first quarter of 2017. Also: “Very soon we will have the first closed beta testing of the new network architecture. In addition to increasing the network stability and eliminating lags, the new software part of the project is designed to eradicate all flaws of the old version.” [Source: press release]
- Figureheads: Brand-new PvE coop modes are coming to this Japanese game, including a fight against a giant mecha named Moby Dick. Seriously.
- C9: An “extreme raid dungeon,” the Chaos Spire, was introduced in the game’s most recent patch. No one who has entered it lived to tell the tale. [Source: press release]
- Warframe: Christmas is drizzled all over this title for the time being, with decorated maps and daily login gifts. The game also introduced a new Siberian map and a submachine gun in its latest update.
- Survarium: Do you need stuff to do on a daily basis? With Survarium’s new daily login rewards and daily quests, you’re going to get all you want and then some.
- Warspear Online: The game’s 6.3 update contains a fiery volcano boss, new dungeons, and a heapload of holiday content to enjoy.
- Ingress: From now through the end of the year, Ingress is tweeting redeemable passcodes out to its players. Have you gotten yours yet?
- Istaria: The game’s winter event is now on, and as the end date is February 20th, you have plenty of time to fight treants and killer presents. [Thanks Mithent!]
- Pokemon Go: “Starting the morning of December 25th, 2016, and through the afternoon of January 3rd, 2017, PokéStops will award one single-use Incubator each day after your first Photo Disc spin.”
Odds and Ends
- Gaming motivations: A massive survey of 250,000 gamers taught us a thing or two about what the primary motivations are for people in different demographics. Where do you fit in?
- Minecraft: The future of independant servers that attempt to monetize in any way might be in peril, thanks to a crackdown by the parent company.
Alien technology has been discovered and incorporated into the good guys’ arsenal in Star Conflict with Patch 1.4:
Some Elder Scrolls Online fans put together this video Christmas card. It’s… interesting, like if the Chipmunks played games.
Dungeon and Fighter: Spirit is currently accepting Korean pre-registrations, but you don’t need to enter any information to get an eyeful of these preview trailers.
It’s been quite the exciting year for Overwatch! Recall all of the highlights with this 2016 in review dev video: