If talk could be spun into gameplay, then Chronicles of Elyria would be an impressive MMORPG these days. Unfortunately, talk is just that — talk — until results are seen, and in greater abundance than the recent video of Kingdoms of Elyria. In the meantime, the creator of the Elyria universe, Jeromy Walsh, fielded a whole bunch of questions from loyal and monetarily invested fans as to what is coming next.
In a private Q&A on Discord, Walsh said that he’s listening to players to “rebuild trust” and working on recruiting people to reopen and moderate the official Chronicles of Elyria Discord. Past that, he fielded questions about a revamp to the Domain and Settlement Selection process, and the Kingdoms of Elyria limited release.
“For us, Kingdoms of Elyria is the first real step in demonstrating our ability to continuously ship updates and gameplay until we’re satisfied with what KoE/CoE looks like,” Walsh said, going on to note that the first release won’t contain that much content but that it should be a nice reward for players even so.
Meanwhile, the lawsuit against Soulbound and Xsolla apparently continues. “The Complaint has been filed as of February 2, 2021 in District Court,” a rep for the player Discord reiterated earlier this week. “The Complaint has been challenged by defense counsel. We are waiting on the Court’s ruling.” Since that February date, both Xsolla and Soulbound filed motions to dismiss, which of course the plaintiffs opposed. Soulbound, we note, sought dismissal both on jurisdictional grounds and on the claim that Soulbound never sold “goods” as defined in the act under which the complaint was brought. The plaintiffs countered that Xsolla’s presence in California as the go-between for Soulbound and plaintiffs was sufficient reason to apply the act and then argued that the “goods” Soulbound sold were downloadable content and therefore qualify as products.
Chronicles of Elyria
stunned MMO gamers in 2020 by announcing it was out of money, had laid off the devs, had closed Soulbound Studio, and had ended development on the game
. Though CEO Jeromy Walsh later retracted much of that and said the game was still in production with volunteer staff
, the gamers who’d backed it for $14M+ in crowdfunds pressed on with legal action
. In 2021, Walsh has been releasing new videos on the production he says is happening, though the focus has been more on spinoff game Kingdoms of Elyria
• Chronicles of Elyria tweaks NDA, locks down Reddit over death threats, and proposes NFT land trades
• Chronicles of Elyria backers sound the alarm on class action waiver in new NDA
• Kingdoms of Elyria colony sim alpha test starts on July 6
• Chronicles of Elyria previews Kingdoms of Elyria gameplay, outlines the path to alpha
• Chronicles of Elyria previews its Kingdoms of Elyria alpha
• Chronicles of Elyria dev answers backers’ Kingdoms of Elyria questions
• Chronicles of Elyria developer offers a look at Milestone 2 features coming to side game Kingdoms of Elyria
• Chronicles of Elyria, now back up to five devs, examines its development achievements and shortcomings
• Chronicles of Elyria team hopes to avoid the ‘one-man economy’ pitfall
• Chronicles of Elyria on the purpose and mechanics of Kingdoms of Elyria’s fog of war
• Chronicles of Elyria boss outlines four-tier release for Kingdoms of Elyria standalone game
• Chronicles of Elyria is releasing Kingdoms of Elyria as a standalone product for backers
• Make My MMO: Chronicles of Elyria backers lodge lawsuit, Wagadu snags more funding
• Chronicles of Elyria says it’s focusing on settlement development in the short term
• Chronicles of Elyria clarifies art and comms as players vow their lawsuit will go forward
• Chronicles of Elyria is still in development, new video from Soulbound vows
• Soulbound Studios insists work on Chronicles of Elyria continues in pre-litigation paperwork response
• Chronicles of Elyria fans have filed the pre-litigation paperwork necessary to sue Soulbound Studios
• Chronicles of Elyria backers have now hired a lawyer to file a class action suit
• Chronicles of Elyria restores forums and gives parkour demo to all backers
• Chronicles of Elyria players allege that Xsolla is now stonewalling on refunds
• Chronicles of Elyria boss insists work on the game continues in spite of team layoff
• Make My MMO: Following Chronicles of Elyria reports, state attorney general addresses crowdfunding scams
• Chronicles of Elyria boss says development is still ongoing, still seeking funding
• Disgruntled Chronicles of Elyria backers seek aid from the Washington attorney general
• Vague Patch Notes: Chronicles of Elyria’s road to nowhere
• The Daily Grind: Are you angry about the collapse of Chronicles of Elyria?
• Make My MMO: Chronicles of Elyria becomes the highest-profile MMORPG Kickstarter to crash and burn
• Kickstarted MMORPG Chronicles of Elyria halts development, lays off all employees