This week in MMO crowdfunding news,
Frontier announced that the beta for 2.3 update, dubbed Elite Dangerous’ Commanders, will release to Horizons beta players on February 26th. “ Elite Dangerous: The Commanders (2.3) will come with features such as Multicrew and Commander Creator, as well as a number of other improvements and changes,” the studio declared. “Bring your friends or invite new crew mates to pack that extra punch you might need in key situations, and add more personality to your Commander with an all-new visual upgrade.”
is running a tourney this weekend, Albion Online released its 38th update, and Shroud of the Avatar revealed… biomes! Worlds Adrift
Read on for more on what’s up with MMO crowdfunding over the last few weeks and the regular roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’ve got our eye on!
VIDEO Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- One of the key foundations for Camelot Unchained was laid this past week, as the team introduced its brand-new animation system. Mark Jacobs writes in the weekly update that the…
Camelot Unchained is putting its new animation system through its paces
- Like a small child thrusting her coloring page at you in hopes of approval, Dual Universe is eager to for you to check out its progress over the past month.…
Dual Universe turns on test server and shows off its progress
- The small but scrappy Chronicles of Elyria continues to pick up experienced MMO devs for its ambitious sandbox project. Earlier this month we reported that Soulbound Studios had hired on…
Chronicles of Elyria hires SWTOR programmer, works on PAX East demo
- Artificial intelligence isn't merely being thrown into Star Citizen because of its futuristic theme but because the tech is essential to how the game will play, from its mission system…
Star Citizen cracks the code of artificial intelligence
- If you're a superhero fan who loves hair -- and you probably are, if our City of Titans commenters yesterday are any guide -- you're definitely going to want to…
Ship of Heroes’ character customization already looks amazing
- A few weeks ago, the Massively OP writers were hanging in the news room on a tear about mohawks. We're not against mohawks. Mohawks are cool. But when we open…
We’re gonna have gorgeous hair in City of Titans
- One of the interesting aspects of Ashes of Creation's business model is how the game will let you subsidize your subscription by earning money via referrals. In a brief post,…
Ashes of Creation might end up paying you to play it
- Thanks to the confluence of holiday time off and the culmination of several projects, Shroud of the Avatar's Release 38 is turning out to be one of the biggest updates…
Shroud of the Avatar unloads one of its largest releases to date
- There was a neat little post on Reddit yesterday in which a Camelot Unchained fan, DasLPSchaf, created a graphic showing some of the visual improvements to the title over the…
See how Camelot Unchained’s visuals have evolved
- One of the big selling points of Worlds Adrift is the ability to create your own airships from scratch. The devs definitely put a premium on providing tools for player…
Worlds Adrift attempts to make the fastest ship ever
- You will die while playing Crowfall. That's pretty much inevitable. But you will also never die in Crowfall, because you are not your character; you are the spirit that animates…
Crowfall details the mechanics of death, resurrection, and swapping characters
- The environment in Ashes of Creation is meant to change around you. The most basic level of this, as detailed in the most recent article on the official site, is…
Ashes of Creation details the progress of seasons
- Vampire MMO themepark Dogma: Eternal Night has an update for alpha testers. "Until recently, players could only play around in the character editor," says the team, but thanks to the…
Dogma: Eternal Night adds starting apartment, functional UI and chat
- Shroud of the Avatar's latest newsletter begins with a bang, at least if you're a fan of costumes. Portalarium is showing off both clockwork armor and Ardoris-themed robes and outfits…
Shroud of the Avatar: New outfits, new zones, and charity aid
- PvP-based survival sandbox Hellion has been taking aim at a January Early Access launch for quite some time now, but it looks as if that target was a little optimistic…
Hellion delays Early Access launch until February
- Project Gorgon has Orcs on the mind this week. No, playable Orcs aren't in the game yet, but their homeland is, as Gorgon patched in the new zone of Gazluk…
Project Gorgon patches in high-level content
- Of the spiritual successors to City of Heroes, Ship of Heroes is the Johnny-come-lately that also puts all of the action inside of a gigantic spaceship which, in turn, fills…
Ship of Heroes explains how you fit a city inside of a spaceship
- If you are not satisfied with being aware of a game at its broadest, highest-level perspective during development, you might be keen instead to know what is going on day-to-day…
Star Citizen aims for a mid-February patch Worlds Adrift biomes
VIDEO Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful. Work continues.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; beta began Oct 2016.
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
Caribbean Conquest (Invenio) – Kickstarter canceled (site offline).
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
( Citadel of Sorcery MMO Magic, Inc.) – Open donations.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; launch planned for fall 2018.
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter over, donor preorder packs.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, now has donor platform.
( Eco Strange Loop Games) – Funded, now in alpha.
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded; now in pre-alpha.
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, multiple times now.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo. Canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Funded and launched.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations, no end date.
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Craneballs) – Successful Planet Nomads Kickstarter.
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries + Indiegogo. In alpha.
( Pumpkin Online Monique) – Downgrading from MMORPG.
(Fairytale Distillery) – fka Das Tal. Steam early access February 2017. The Exiled
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
(Idea Fabrik) – Kickstarted twice by A&B. Relaunch Q1 2017. The Repopulation
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; early access delayed to 2017.
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon.
( Shards Online Citadel Studios) – Kickstarted. Currently in alpha.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Successful KS. Soft launch July 2016.
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – In middle of year-long revamp after funding surge.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017. Elite: Dangerous discoveries
Thanks, Cotic and Colin!