Last night, we covered the emerging scandal in the City of Heroes community and broke the confirmation that yes, there is in fact a long-running but secret City of Heroes emulator, with your old characters, and no, you probably weren’t invited, as the showrunners were making a concerted effort to keep it under NDA to avoid NCsoft’s infamous wrath. There’s obviously a lot more to it than that, so I urge you to read the entirety of our article from last night, including direct quotes from the leader of the SCORE team working on the project.
But when I got up this morning, I saw our comments, inboxes, and Reddit pages were absolutely filled with hurt and betrayal, way more potent than was displayed on Facebook before I went to bed. You guys, there are people emailing me their bona fides hoping I’ll pass them along to SCORE. People are begging to get onto this server. “What do I tell my dad?” one Redditor asked. Folks are appealing to game preservation too. The sheer anger over it all is palpable as people lash out at and doxx each other (and even upbraid us for publishing an account of what’s going on).
Shining through it all is this is this sense that… it’s out now, so let us in. Release the code! If this community is so great, to paraphrase one poster, why are some people still eating steak while everyone else goes hungry? Especially when they say they were going to open it up eventually anyway?
Where do you stand on the “secret” City of Heroes emulator? What should be done?
To be clear, we are not encouraging illegal activity and advise everyone involved to consider their actions carefully.
Where do you stand on the 'secret' City of Heroes emulator? What should be done?
- Just let everyone in. It's time. (24%, 1,000 Votes)
- Release the code, as they say. Let someone else have a crack at it. (40%, 1,688 Votes)
- Just host in a country where NCsoft can't touch it like other emus do. (17%, 692 Votes)
- Switch efforts to SEGS, which is now operating in the open. (4%, 163 Votes)
- Switch efforts to Paragon Chat. (1%, 23 Votes)
- Switch efforts to one of the spiritual successors. (1%, 60 Votes)
- Shut it all down. Nobody should get to play. (2%, 64 Votes)
- Go back into hiding and continue gradual invites. (4%, 165 Votes)
- Everyone already playing it should quit. (1%, 27 Votes)
- Even if they let us in, we shouldn't play on principle. (1%, 38 Votes)
- Move on to another game entirely. (2%, 63 Votes)
- Something else - tell us in the comments. (1%, 29 Votes)
- No opinion / view tally / catgirl butts (4%, 165 Votes)
Total Voters: 2,704
Complete rundown on the entire City of Heroes SCORE mess so far: