This week in MMO crowdfunding, the
devs must be stoked beyond belief, as not only has their Shadow’s Kiss Kickstarter reached its goal but it’s almost to double now with three weeks remaining. Thus far, backers of the indie vampire fantasy MMORPG have unlocked stretch goals including a crafting systems, ritual magic system, and some sort of tenebrous tentacles thing, with narration and music on the way when they break the $50,000 mark.
demoed its Cleric class, Crowfall explained how space travel won’t be boring, Star Citizen worked on character customization, and Ship of Heroes launched on Xbox One X. Elite Dangerous
Read on for more on what’s up with MMO crowdfunding over the last couple of weeks and the regular roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’re following.
Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- When the bugs are away, the developers will play. Camelot Unchained's team reported that it made significant advancement this past week on its "Saturday Night Sieges" scenarios. These are going so…
Camelot Unchained sprints forward with scenario testing
- The Cleric of Crowfall is not solely a healer. That's not to say the Cleric doesn't heal people, of course; in fact, several of the powers you'll see in the…
Crowfall shows off the Cleric powers in action
- With such a heavy PvP focus, Albion Online was a natural fit for tournaments. And so the Arena Masters Tournament is upon us, a seasonal 5v5 competition with millions of…
Albion Online kicks off Masters Tournament, sweetens recruit-a-friend program, and promises performance improvements
- So, Star Citizen alpha 3.0. Around the Verse. Does anyone read these, or do you just skip to the comments with your popcorn? Let's find out! In this episode, CIG's…
Star Citizen’s Around the Verse on making space travel more exciting
- The production schedule for OrbusVR is speeding right along, and the game is just about ready to head into early access. For a given value of "just about," anyhow; November…
OrbusVR outlines its early access schedule for December
- With Ship of Heroes' beta test about a year away, fans of the sci-fi superhero MMORPG have a lot of time on their hands. Hopefully some of that time will…
Ship of Heroes plans even more improvements for its character creator
- What's doing on in OARPG Grim Dawn since the release of its apparently well-received Ashes of Malmouth expansion last month? Quite a lot, actually. Crate says it's been working on…
Grim Dawn’s next big patch paves the way for Xbox compatibility
- It has been a while in the making, but Crowfall's Patch 5.3 is on its way... "soon." The team isn't quite saying when yet, but there is plenty of discussion…
Crowfall gets you up to speed on Pre-Alpha 5.3
- Players who want to get a jump start on their Shroud of the Avatar crafting career might end up taking a tour under the surface of the world. The developers…
Shroud of the Avatar opens a trio of new mines for lowbies, gets ready for Christmas
- The Elder Scrolls Online isn't the only MMO getting love with the Xbox One X launch tomorrow: Frontier posted today that Elite Dangerous is also aiming to support Microsoft's new…
Elite Dangerous patches in preparation for Xbox One X support
- Last week, Camelot Unchained posted up its big plans for test hoopla, including its Saturday Night Sieges. In CSE's latest newsletter, it outlines its testing of the first version of…
Camelot Unchained builds out deathmatch gameplay for Saturday Night Sieges
- No longer will you have to pay a large lump sum for bundles just to gain certain perks in Chronicles of Elyria. If you have your sight set on only…
Chronicles of Elyria begins selling individual perks, shows character customization
- Didn't get enough of late October's CitizenCon 2947? Then settle back with a cup of pumpkin space latte and drink in a retrospective straight from the crew over at Star…
Star Citizen wraps up CitizenCon, posts Alpha 3.0 production schedule
- It's a well-worn but welcome roleplaying game trope that adventurers gather before quests in a colorful tavern full of shady characters, intrigue at every table, and a bard strumming a…
Ashes of Creation wants to create the ideal and iconic RPG tavern
- Pantheon's Brad McQuaid has another new blog post up - he's on a roll this week - this one on alternate rulesets in MMORPGs and the MMO's multi-server structure. "I…
Pantheon’s Brad McQuaid on alternate rulesets and multi-server MMOs
- With limited-run tests on September 30th and October 21st, Dual Universe is taking small steps for dev-kind into the pre-alpha world. The team reports that these tests were successful in…
Dual Universe’s pre-alpha launch was ‘a huge and fantastic moment’
- "Boxy and functional" is not usually a compliment unless you want to get slapped or are describing a Volvo. But when it comes to Crowfall's new user interface screens, this…
Crowfall shows off new UI windows (and some eye candy for the nerds)
- It is high time that we check back in with ECO, that multiplayer world ecosystem simulator, because there's some major happenings going on in this game. The team recently dropped…
ECO drops a massive alpha build with world laws, player contracts, and fishing
- Still bummed over the loss of World of Darkness and Revival? Shadow's Kiss may be for you. Last year, we covered the vampire fantasy MMO when it set up shop…
Indie vampire fantasy MMO Shadow’s Kiss has already reached its Kickstarter goal
- Point the first: Can we all agree that "Alpha Zero" is a really cool name? It seems weird that we don't have dozens of games on different platforms with that…
Ashes of Creation offers a peek at its Alpha Zero environment
- Still a little confused about what Chronicles of Elyria is trying to do that we haven't seen before? The dev team has put together a six-and-a-half minute video that makes…
Chronicles of Elyria makes a case for an unique MMO world — with undergarments
- Following the release of its October content update a few days ago, Shroud of the Avatar's weekly newsletter delivered a hodge-podge of smaller news pieces. These snippits include a spoilery…
Shroud of the Avatar announces big gameplay change and new trial
- One of the most interesting things to cover when it comes to Pantheon's development has been its reconciliation of two superficially opposing ideas for social systems in MMOs: the old-school,…
Pantheon’s social systems aren’t ‘simply bringing back the past’
- Strange things are afoot in Chronicles of Elyria. For starters, there is a single throne available on a North American server that's up for grabs. Instead of simply selling it…
Chronicles of Elyria raffles off a throne, retools community event to avoid exploits Crowfall
VIDEO Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful. Work continues.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; beta began Oct 2016.
(Sandbox) – Launched July 2017. Albion Online
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016.
(Intrepid Studios) – Successful KS. Ashes of Creation
(Cylinder) – Broke Protocol Unsuccessful KS. In free early access. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
( Caribbean Conquest Invenio) – First KS canceled, second ended unsuccessfully.
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
( Citadel of Sorcery MMO Magic, Inc.) – Open donations.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; launch planned for fall 2018.
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter over, donor preorder packs.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, now has donor platform. Pre-alpha.
( Eco Strange Loop Games) – Funded, now in alpha.
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded; in early access.
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
( Global Adventures SubaGames) – Kickstarter funded.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, multiple times now.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
(Runewaker) – Funded and launched. Guardians of Ember
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo. Canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Funded and launched.
( Legends of Aria Citadel Studios) – Kickstarted as Shards Online. Alpha ended.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended. Currently in beta.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Maestros of the Anthymn String Theory) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Infinity Online Studios) – Mekria Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Ad Alternum) – OrbusVR KS funded March 2017.
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations, no end date.
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Craneballs) – Planet Nomads Kickstarted, early access launched sans multiplayer.
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries + Indiegogo. In alpha.
( Pumpkin Online Monique) – Downgrading from MMORPG.
(Fairytale Distillery) – fka Das Tal; 2015 The Exiled KS unsuccesful. In Steam early access.
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
(Idea Fabrik) – Kickstarted twice by A&B. Back in alpha The Repopulation
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; now in early access.
(Tarhead Studio) – Kickstarter successful. RUiN
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon, Kickstarter ends Dec 5.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Successful KS. Soft launch July 2016.
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – In middle of year-long revamp after funding surge.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017. Star Citizen