This week in MMO crowdfunding,
weekly progress report is on the shorter side (for CSE) given that the game’s Camelot Unchained’s monthly newsletter just went out, but there are some interesting tidbits within, including the fact that the studio is considering uprooting the game’s hosting services and migrating elsewhere. The team’s also been working on battlegrounds and warbands, status effects, animations, female clothing, tech stuff, and boats.
In great news for anybody still lamenting
World of Darkness, victory seems assured for vampire MMORPG , whose Kickstarter should conclude on Tuesday with more than double its ask. Shadow’s Kiss
patched its patch, Elite Dangerous is hosting a Movember team, Shroud of the Avatar teased female toons, Valiance Online is planning its next update early tomorrow morning, we spoke to Project Gorgon Mark Jacobs about developer wages, prepped its combat alpha, and Ship of Heroes drove eyebrows to the sky by announcing the pre-sale of land claims in space. Star Citizen
Read on for more on what’s up with MMO crowdfunding over the last couple of weeks and the regular roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’re following.
VIDEO Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- What's Cloud Imperium been up to the last month? Oh nothing much, just frantically trying to prepare Star Citizen's alpha 3.0 to debut ahead of the holidays - that's the…
Star Citizen’s monthly studio report covers alpha 3.0 work, eyes Squadron 42
- Even though it's looking more like Christmas than Halloween around these parts, Shadow's Kiss is taking its Kickstarter all the way to the bank. The blood bank. The indie vampire…
Shadow’s Kiss devs interview vampires as their Kickstarter nears finish line
- Remember like 50 million years ago when DayZ was young, Dean Hall was at the top of everybody's interview list, and nobody realized the survival sandbox genre was about to…
DayZ finally makes hard plans to leave early access and launch (beta) next year
- There's already a lot of lore floating around for City of Heroes-inspired indie MMORPG City of Titans, but all of the lore in the world doesn't mean much if you never…
City of Titans shares details on creating its mission lines
- Settle in, folks, because it's Camelot Unchained monthly newsletter day -- and that means plenty of good reading for those excited about this RvR title. One of the big topics…
Camelot Unchained hypes Saturday Night Sieges, promises big announcements next month
- If you're the sort of person who runs screaming from a room and vows to burn the whole house down over the barest glimpse of an arachnid, you are not…
Crowfall takes a skittering look at spiders
- Just a friendly reminder that Chronicles of Elyria is still trying to raffle off one of its few remaining in-game thrones to the most popular fan who can get everyone…
Chronicles of Elyria instigates a popularity contest over the last throne
- Last week, Massively OP's Eliot Lefebvre wrote a (fantastic) Soapbox editorial arguing that Star Wars Battlefront II (and its concomitant monetization dust-up) is merely a symptom of the "long tail"…
Are rank-and-file devs benefiting from MMO publisher ‘money-grabs’? Camelot Unchained’s Mark Jacobs weighs in
- Before we get to talking about ways Crowfall is trying to make money, here is something it's giving away for free: four brand-new Patch 5.3 wallpapers. Treat yourself today. ArtCraft…
Crowfall retires pledge packages in favor of pre-orders, partners with AbleGamers
- It's a hundred identical superheroes in hot pants facing off against a giant robot, and that robot does not stand a chance. The following video may look a little odd,…
Ship of Heroes readies combat alpha, shows off a massive raid test
- Idea Fabrik has a new forum post up on the state of sandbox MMO The Repopulation heralding the testing of update 10.2. There's downside, however, as the studio says it…
The Repopulation considers closing its EU server, adding hardcore server as 10.2 patch rolls out to testers
- Fiercely independent and minimap-free Saga of Lucimia is publicly sticking to its guns in an attempt to fund and make this fantasy MMORPG, eschewing contracts with publishers who wanted the…
Saga of Lucimia secures independent funding to hire contractors
- This summer's sole indie sandbox MMO launch, Albion Online, is rolling out its second post-launch update. It's called Kay. As in Sir Kay, one of the Knights of the Round…
Albion Online’s next update, Kay, launches next week with tons of fresh PvP content
- How about this for a new November tradition at Massively OP: Let's get together at this time every year to see if video game composer Jeremy Soule is ever going…
Another year passes and Jeremy Soule’s Kickstarter album is still unreleased
- The Star Citizen community was once again rocked yesterday by the addition of new pixelstuff to buy ahead of launch, this time in the form of land claim licenses. Running…
Move over, pixel ships: Star Citizen is now selling pixel land claims
- Albion Online PvP Game Designer Michael Schwahn jumped into the dev talk this week to discuss the new battle mounts that have come to the game, such as the command…
Albion Online brings in the battle mounts
- Wetlands are an important part of the ecosystem, and not just because they are chock-full of stinging insects, biting snakes, and muddy bogs. They also are important quest locations in…
Shroud of the Avatar saves the wetlands
- Saga of Lucimia has made a name for itself during its long development as a hardcore old-school indie MMO with a focus on grouping (there's no solo content at all),…
Saga of Lucimia dev argues that minimaps destroy MMORPG immersion
- In some online games, player housing is mostly a way to show off personal creativity and set up a space of your own. In ECO, however, it will be much…
ECO’s player housing is more beneficial than you think
- Even with its launch on PCs earlier this year, Albion Online's true potential as a cross-platform MMORPG has yet to be fulfilled. The next crucial step in this effort? Getting…
Albion Online begins testing iOS client
- This week's Star Citizen Around the Verse doesn't pull any punches: Indeed, it heralds the expansion of 3.0 testing to several more tiers of backers and testers, meaning you should…
Star Citizen opens up alpha 3.0 on the PTU to a ton of new testers
- Due to the truncated holiday week, the Camelot Unchained team didn't have as much time to get work done. Still, there was progress made on several fronts, according to the…
Camelot Unchained gives thanks for you
- If you missed it, Shroud of the Avatar pushed out its November update pretty early this month due to the Thanksgiving holiday (an action that the team will repeat next…
Shroud of the Avatar elaborates on Release 48 changes
- The latest Crowfall Q&A video changes tack about halfway through. For the first half, lead designer Thomas Blair and executive producer Gordon Walton helpfully discuss various player questions like how…
Crowfall takes players on a journey… to squash bugs
- If you wanted to catch the newest Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen stream live, we're sorry to inform you that you're too late. It already happened. But luckily, you can…
Pantheon shows off the process of making a city with its latest video
- Do you miss playing your Controller in City of Heroes? One of that game's spiritual successors wants to resurrect the concept of a mez-happy superhero who throws down crowd control…
Ship of Heroes resurrects the crowd controller playstyle
- You might have missed the riots in the streets over lockboxes these past few months, but we assure you, the controversy is very real. One game where this won't be…
City of Titans vows ‘no lockboxes’ for its business model
- If your favorite part of the Lord of the Rings films was the exposition-heavy introduction, then Chronicles of Elyria has a treat for you this week. Soulbound Studio put out…
Chronicles of Elyria lays out one of its servers’ history in an animated video
- It's a good time to pile on predatory cash-shop models, especially if you've got a better one, and in-development hardcore MMORPG sandbox Saga of Lucimia is doing just that. While citing…
Saga of Lucimia says it’s turned down two publishers to avoid going free-to-play Ship of Heroes
VIDEO Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful. Work continues.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; beta began Oct 2016.
(Sandbox) – Launched July 2017. Albion Online
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016.
(Intrepid Studios) – Successful KS. Ashes of Creation
(Cylinder) – Broke Protocol Unsuccessful KS. In free early access. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
( Caribbean Conquest Invenio) – First KS canceled, second ended unsuccessfully.
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
( Citadel of Sorcery MMO Magic, Inc.) – Open donations.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; launch planned for fall 2018.
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter over, donor preorder packs.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, now has donor platform. Pre-alpha.
( Eco Strange Loop Games) – Funded, now in alpha.
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded; in early access.
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
( Global Adventures SubaGames) – Kickstarter funded.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, multiple times now.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
(Runewaker) – Funded and launched. Guardians of Ember
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo. Canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Funded and launched.
( Legends of Aria Citadel Studios) – Kickstarted as Shards Online. Alpha ended.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended. Currently in beta.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Maestros of the Anthymn String Theory) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Infinity Online Studios) – Mekria Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Ad Alternum) – OrbusVR KS funded March 2017.
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations, no end date.
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Craneballs) – Planet Nomads Kickstarted, early access launched sans multiplayer.
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries + Indiegogo. In alpha.
( Pumpkin Online Monique) – Downgrading from MMORPG.
(Fairytale Distillery) – fka Das Tal; 2015 The Exiled KS unsuccesful. In Steam early access.
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
(Idea Fabrik) – Kickstarted twice by A&B. Back in alpha The Repopulation
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; now in early access.
(Tarhead Studio) – Kickstarter successful. RUiN
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon, Kickstarter ends Dec 5.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Successful KS. Soft launch July 2016.
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – In middle of year-long revamp after funding surge.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017. Dual Universe