The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
Maybe you’ll discover a new game in this space — or be reminded of an old favorite! This week we have stories and videos from Dark Eden, Monster Hunter World, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, Arena of Valor, World of Warships, Ragnarok Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Alchemia Story, Hearthstone, Overwatch, Wizard101, RuneScape, Guild Wars 2, and Caravan Stories, all waiting for you after the break!
New Games and Testing
- Caravan Stories: This adorable anime MMO launched in Japan — hopefully we’ll see it here before too long!
- Monster Hunter World: Here’s a handy list of all of the armor skills found so far by testers.
- War Thunder: Update 1.73 introduced a whole lot of new armor from the French army, dating from World War II and beyond. [Source: press release]
- Arena of Valor: I don’t think I can top this headline, so here it is in its entirety. “Twitch and Coca-Cola will raise money to fight AIDS with a MOBA tournament.”
- Dark Eden: Log in to this horror MMO starting December 6th to get a “3rd promoted character” right away, whatever that means. [Source: press release]
Odds and Ends
- Jagex: This RuneScape developer expanded its executive team with three new members to meet “bold growth plans” for the company.
- Overwatch: Blizzard is further refining the Overwatch League with its “Path to Pro” system for next year.
- Hearthstone: Get ready for a huge year, as this card game will receive not one, not two, but three expansions in 2018.
- Lord of the Rings Online: Learn more about the backstory of Gondor and the line of royal succession with this history piece.
- Ragnarok Online: Singapore and Malaysia just saw the return of an official server for this game. Good for them!
- Virtual Reality: Slowly but surely VR hardware is becoming accepted, with Q3 2017 seeing over a million sales for the first time ever. [Thanks Miol!]
Get your first look at PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds mobile:
Pan-Asian destroyers have steamed into World of Warships:
What’s an MMOJRPG? It’s Alchemia Story, apparently, and it just launched in Japan:
A two-player concert captivated a small crowd of Guild Wars 2 fans, including one writer who was incredibly impressed by it:
Learn about the making of action combat music from Wizard101’s composer: