The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
Maybe you’ll discover a new game in this space — or be reminded of an old favorite! This week we have stories and videos from Rend, Sea of Thieves, The Black Death, Warframe, HEX, Fragmented, MU Legend, Final Fantasy XI, Monster Hunter World, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, Dota 2, Wurm Online, Ultima Online, and Path of Exile, all waiting for you after the break!
New Games and Testing
- Monster Hunter World: Capcom and Numskull Designs are planning a merchandise line for this game that includes mugs, t-shirts, badgets, and keychains. [Source: press release]
- The Black Death: The dev team recapped the game’s long road in 2017.
- Star Wars Rivals: A new PvP duck-and-shoot game is heading to mobile!
- Sea of Thieves: You can now preorder the Tales from the Sea of Thieves book.
- Rend: This upcoming sandbox just got a new logo. YOUR EYES CANNOT BEHOLD ITS GLORY.
- MU Legend: The first season of its new Faction War started with the debut of January 9th’s patch.
- HEX: The Dead of Winter patch made some tournament adjustments and added animated cards for Kismet.
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds: A small patch added a pair of controversial cosmetic crates with abysmally low drop rates.
- Dota 2: Valve pulled out of a Philippines tournament over security concerns.
- Final Fantasy XI: From January through May, there’s a Records of Eminence event that gives experienced players new objectives and rewards.
Odds and Ends
- Path of Exile: The dev team talks about designing unique items that drop from The Elder boss.
- Nexon: Jiwon Park was named as the company’s new COO.
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds: There’s a new and improved way to report cheaters in this battle royale game. And speaking of battle royale-style games, there’s now a game to teach you HOW to play those games. Seriously.
- Fragmented: Here’s a good (or desperate) deal: Fragmented is just $2 right now on Steam.
- Blacklight Retribution: Paradox Interactive snapped up a 33% stake in developer Hardsuit Labs and will publish the company’s upcoming untitled game.
- Warframe: Here’s how players got Taylor Swift lyrics added as an in-game description.
- Virtual Reality: If you live in Philly, you’ll soon be able to blast zombies in VR in a new eight-player arena. [Thanks Leiloni!]
- E-sports: G:loot, a Swedish e-sports platform, just got a hefty $12.1M investment.
The fan effort to recreate Ultima Online in Wurm Online continues with the construction of Dagger Isle: