The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
New Games and Testing
- ECO: Work on this biome-social simulator continues, and a new dev diary talks about some of the new projects that the team is handling, including the property system, transport, and, um, tweaking tree trunks. Hey, trees matter!
- Dungeons & Dragons Online: Update 29 Patch 2 made a few small adjustments recently, but it was the addition of randomly generated loot in a previous update that had the community arguing whether it was on the level or sent here by the devil. [Thanks to TJ for the tip!]
- Destiny: Bungie is hearing “good things” about its recent Iron Banner matchmaking system and promised to continue to refine the system until it irons out the lag.
- C9: The most recent update has brought the awakened level system to the game, allowing veterans to unlock a special perk for their characters.
- Dark Age of Camelot: A small hotfix patch officially ended the Midwinter Celebration and made a couple of small adjustments.
- Dungeons & Dragons Online: Both the Midwinter Festival and the Risa Ice Games are filling the cold winter months with a sense of purpose.
- EVE Online: CCP has put out a call for players who are open to being speakers at this spring’s Fanfest. Have something interesting to say about the game? Get out there and claim your moment of fame!
Odds and Ends
- GOG.com: Steam has a little competition in the early access arena, as GOG.com announced that it will be selling “games in development,” each with a 14-day refund policy. It rolled out five titles as part of its new program.
- Ingress: The augmented reality title has clocked over 14M downloads since 2012. Since then it’s also been played in over 200 countries and seen over 254,000 players show up for live events.
- Bungie: Long-time Bungie President Harold Ryan has left the company and was replaced by former COO Pete Parsons.
- Electronic Arts: EA decided to pull out of E3 this year in favor of hosting its own events in London and LA. The publisher will show up at E3 to do a presser, however.
Need more developer chat to sate your Star Citizen cravings? The latest episode of Reverse the Verse is out, with discussion about the game’s EVA, FPS tech, and even facial animations. Of course, if you’re really pressed for time you could just read the transcript. [Thanks to Darkwalker for the tip!]
There’s a new dealer in the vicinity of Armored Warfare, and he’s selling Chinese tanks to anyone who’s looking to buy. The 0.13 update came with seven new tanks, the coastal threat PvP map, and a second pass on the matchmaking system.
Elvenar says that it’s cracked the demographics barrier, with a playerbase that’s almost half female and is overwhelmingly middle-aged (70% are 35 or older).
Elsword’s Eve and Chung characters are getting visual makeovers in season 2, but it doesn’t stop there! Their skill trees are also getting upgraded as well.
This is either a trailer for a new character in Heroes of the Storm named Space Lord Leoric or an advertisement for a 1980s cartoon. Your call!