The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
Our headline story this week is that EVE Online is making good on its promise to phase out DirectX 9 support for the game. The team said that it’s aware that the Mac version only uses DirectX 9 and is investigating a solution.
New Games and Testing
- Sacrament: Is this an actual game or just a design document? Either way, the devs talked about their plans for the Warrior class and player housing for this hypothetical MMO.
- Eternal Crusade: The team posted a recap of all of the projects that it’s working on, including a massive rebalancing patch, the progression tree, and relic items.
- The Imperial Realm: Miranda: The one-man dev team said that he was inspired by Guild Wars 2’s mystic forge interface and is reworking his unit design screen to be similar to it. Good idea or shameless ripoff?
- Paragon: A small patch is scheduled for tomorrow that will nuke some bugs and introduce new weekly card picks.
- The Culling: This survival arena is trying to prevent teaming by coming up with a creative penalty for collusion between players. Because we wouldn’t want gamers to group up in online games or anything! [Thanks Jessica!]
- Worlds Adrift: This game’s concept art is pretty astounding, so get into the artists’ heads who make it with this new interview.
- Gloria Victis: This fantasy MMO is just about ready for its Steam release and put out a new patch in preparation for it.
- Asta Online: Wrath of the Berserkers dropped this past week, bringing with it the titular class, a level cap increase, and a new race, the Raksas. [Thanks Guard!]
- Pirate101: This month’s newsletter confirmed that the Valencia update should be released by the end of June.
- World of Tanks: Wargaming is celebrating the 100th anniversary of the creation of tanks with a series of events, starting with a limited-time operation on the Eastern Front.
Odds and Ends
- The Elder Scrolls Legends: A new dev diary goes into the ins and outs of the card game’s interesting lane system.
- EVE Online: In what is either the be-all, end-all of scams or a truly inspirational effort, players have organized a charity event using PLEX to go to worthy causes. [Thanks Cista!]
- Ingress: The dev team is conducting a survey to see “if playing augmented reality games causes bleed-over of actions and responses from the game into real life to a similar extent as playing video games.” The team also posted tips on how not to get banned from the ARG. [Thanks Nordavind!]
Get a first-hand look at Warface’s Anubis mission and decide whether or not your tenno will put boots on the ground to complete it.
It’s not Halloween yet, but Wizard101 is making the connection by trying to sell its Witch Hunter’s bundle. Will you buy? See this video to evaluate the bundle’s worth:
Free-to-play Energy Heroes has launched its early access phase, and to promote it, the game’s released a trailer for the occasion.