It’s been a weird week in MMO crowdfunding. The
Kickstarter isn’t looking good; devs have raised under 2% of their original half a million dollar goal. Codename Reality is over this week too, well under its goal. Project Oasis World ‘s Kickstarter has already been canceled, as that studio says it’ll hunt for other options. As for EverFeud , that Endless Trials Kickstarter has also ended abruptly; team Fire Hurts says it’ll try a fresh campaign with a video at some point in the future.
, however, has already seen outrageous success with its Kickstarter for… plushies. For real. As I type this, the game is four times over its goal. Plushies are happening. AdventureQuest 3D
still isn’t dead, Pathfinder next big thing will launch at the end of August, Elite Dangerous’ is hard at work on player-created dungeons, SOTA updated its roadmap, Dual Universe is working on its 64-bit client, Camelot Unchained showed off its alpha combat, and a judge is permitting Ashes of Creation most of the Crytek . Star Citizen lawsuit to continue
Read on for more on what’s been up with MMO crowdfunding over the last couple of weeks and our roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’re following.
Elite Dangerous’ next update
VIDEO Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- Need a good dose of Ashes of Creation news to spice up your week? Intrepid Studios popped its head back up to talk up the game, starting with the revelations that…
Ashes of Creation preps for September’s Alpha 1, shows off its action combat
- Crowfall has a bunch of smallish pieces of news this week that we don't want to miss. First, ArtCraft announced that it's picked up a new VP of Marketing with…
Crowfall: New marketing boss, bestiary entry, player mapping, and the Mother of Cats
- In this week's Around the Verse, Star Citizen's Sandi Gardiner and Chris Roberts have a stack of gorgeous environmental pan shots for your to feast your eyes on - that's…
Star Citizen shows off atmo moon landscapes, dishes on the studio’s dev process
- The next phase of Elite Dangerous is en route - specifically, that's chapter three of the Beyond rollout. In a brief tweet this afternoon, Frontier put a date on it…
Elite Dangerous’ Beyond Chapter Three launches on August 28, players take on massive effort to salute community helpers
- Seed resurfaced this summer after intensive work by studio Klang Games building out the colony simulation MMO (plus a big influx of investor money), and this month, it's put together…
Pre-alpha colony sim MMO Seed will grant players the tools to fight toxicity
- Did our reporting on Zeal get you interested about the possibilities for this upcoming action RPG? Then you might want to be tracking the game's ongoing development as it patches…
Zeal tosses out patches like there’s no tomorrow
- A little change can make a big difference in terms of balance. It's what Albion Online did with its latest patch; all that's really been changed is that trade mission…
Albion Online makes trade mission bundles much heavier
- No, you've probably never heard of Orake before -- and chances are that you never will again, either. The crude-looking indie MMORPG has been slowly but steadily progressing through development…
Orake’s devs ask someone, anyone, else to take over this 2-D MMO
- MMO-watchers will recall that just before the turn of the new year, Crytek filed to sue Cloud Imperium, the company behind the sprawling and controversial crowdfunded MMO Star Citizen. Crytek…
A judge has mostly denied Star Citizen studio’s motion to dismiss the Crytek copyright lawsuit
- If you are a fan (or fanatic) of game-related plushies, AdventureQuest 3D has something you might want to check out. It's a Kickstarter for 12 cute and cuddly Moglin mascots.…
AdventureQuest 3D Moglin plushies can be yours through Kickstarter
- Cloud Imperium's Sandi Gardiner and Chris Roberts are both back in the latest instalment of Star Citizen's Around the Verse. You've probably noticed the shift this summer that ATV is…
Star Citizen highlights community rover events, the group system, and atmospheric worlds
- At the tail end of July, we covered the Kickstarter of EverFeud, a PvP-focused MOBA/MMO hybrid that sought $105,000 to fund development. Unfortunately, the Kickstarter lasted only a week, as…
EverFeud’s Kickstarter has been canceled, but the devs say they’ll ‘pursue other options’
- Camelot Unchained's beta one is rolling on, and we're assuming City State's Mark Jacobs is napping on a beach somewhere enjoying his long-delayed vacay because CSE co-founder and technical director…
Camelot Unchained’s latest beta build patches up the UI, fixes superpowered rocks
- Project Gorgon is an MMO that packs itself full of activities, all of which it does in its own special way. You can clearly see this in the way that…
Project Gorgon’s casino features games with ‘strategic elements’
- Drama seems to plague Shroud of the Avatar, but if you can look past it, there's some fun innovation going on inside Portalarium in regard to MMO mechanics. Portalarium Technical…
Take a peek at the development of Shroud of the Avatar’s player-designed dungeon system
- As cool as it may sound, unless you're actually working on developing Crowfall, the odds are you will never see the Clusterizer in action. You will only ever see what…
Crowfall shows off the behind-the-scenes magic of the Clusterizer
- There's been another update in the long-running saga that is Greed Monger. Greed Monger is easily the most infamous MMORPG Kickstarter failure to date, having raised over $100,000 back in 2012…
Greed Monger delays refunds again because of crypto market dips
- A recent post by the City of Titans team in which it briefly mentioned "costume unlocks" for the upcoming superhero MMO got the community's full interest. As such, the team…
City of Titans explains costume unlocking
- [AL:POE]Picture this: an underground dungeon that gets progressively more challenging -- and rewarding -- the deeper you go, and there is no end. Not no end in sight, but no…
Path of Exile’s Delve launches August 31 with an infinite dungeon; here’s our chat with Grinding Gear’s Chris Wilson!
- Here's a new one for us, and if you like it, you can throw money at it right now: It's called Endless Trials, and it is gunning for some of…
Endless Trials seeks $66K on Kickstarter to build a semi-hardcore endgame PvE MMO that omits grind
- Why does skinning something in Crowfall currently result in getting coins? That makes absolutely no sense. Well, according to the latest Q&A video, the developers are well aware that it…
Crowfall’s latest community Q&A covers skinning coins and equipment mitigation
- If you're still figuring out what you're going to play in Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, you've gotten the last of your options revealed. The last three classes of the…
Pantheon fully reveals its last three classes
- Unlike some indie MMOs that keep an intentionally vague timeline of development, the team at Novaquark has mapped out the development and testing of Dual Universe from now through launch.…
Dual Universe lays out its roadmap through a 2020 release
- What defines an epic adventure? This is the burning question that Saga of Lucimia is tackling this week, starting with the derisive analysis of current MMO questing as "grocery runs."…
Saga of Lucimia’s epic quests will take ‘time, effort, and teamwork’ to finish
- The latest production update from Chronicles of Elyria is going to make those of you who are super into detailed and meaningful character creation perk right on up. Elyria is…
Chronicles of Elyria on character family influences and playable instruments
- About nine people showed up at a GenCon Pathfinder Online panel this past weekend, during which Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens gave an update on the status of this struggling sandbox…
Pathfinder Online promises free trial, open enrollment, and a marketing push AdventureQuest plushies
Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful. Work continues.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; beta began Oct 2016.
(Sandbox) – Launched July 2017, hit Steam May 2018. Albion Online
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016.
(Intrepid Studios) – Successful KS. Alpha zero. Ashes of Creation
(Cylinder) – Broke Protocol Unsuccessful KS. In free early access. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
( Caribbean Conquest Invenio) – First KS canceled, second ended unsuccessfully.
(Orode) – Codename Reality Kickstarter ends August 31.
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
( Citadel of Sorcery MMO Magic, Inc.) – Open donations.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; launching fall 2018.
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter over, donor preorder packs.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, donor platform. Pre-alpha.
( Eco Strange Loop Games) – Funded, now in alpha.
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded; in early access.
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
(Fire Hurts) – Endless Trials Kickstarter canceled.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
(PSB) – EverFeud Kickstarter canceled.
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
(Dynamight) – Fractured Kickstarter successful.
( Global Adventures SubaGames) – Kickstarter funded.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, now allegedly in refund process.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
(Runewaker) – Funded and launched. Guardians of Ember
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo. Canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Funded and launched.
( Legends of Aria Citadel Studios) – Kickstarted as Shards Online. Alpha ended.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended. Currently in beta.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Maestros of the Anthymn String Theory) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Maguss) – Indiegogo successful; open beta. Maguss
(Infinity Online Studios) – Mekria Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Ad Alternum) – OrbusVR KS funded March 2017. In early access.
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations. Pre-alpha.
(Brain Stone GmbH): First Kickstarter canceled, second funded. Pantropy
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Craneballs) – Planet Nomads Kickstarted, early access launched sans multiplayer.
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries + Indiegogo. Early access.
(POW) – Project Oasis World . Kickstarter ends August 20
( Pumpkin Online Monique) – Downgrading from MMORPG.
(Crema) – Temtem Kickstarter fully funded.
(Fairytale Distillery) – fka Das Tal; 2015 The Exiled KS unsuccessful. Early access.
– The Flower of Knighthood Kickstarter canceled.
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
(Idea Fabrik) – Kickstarted twice by A&B. Back in alpha. The Repopulation
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; now in early access.
(Tarhead Studio) – Kickstarter successful. RUiN
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon, Kickstarter funded.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Successful KS. Soft launch July 2016. Launch March 2018.
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – In middle of year-long revamp after funding surge.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017.
(Campfire Games) – Successful Kickstarter; in alpha. War of Rights Ashes of Creation