This week in MMO crowdfunding news, ArtCraft says over 9000 gamers have been invited to try to break the three alpha servers active during
. “We’ve shifted our development approach to be more like a live MMO,” says Creative Director and Co-Founder J. Todd Coleman. Still on the way “soon” are the new crafting skill trees, unique world maps, the Crowfall’s “Big World” playtest necromancy system that serves as the foundation for avatar swapping, and the protype for the Eternal Kingdoms. The company also crossed the minimum threshold for its Indiegogo-based equity crowdfunding effort, though it has been thus far unwilling to answer questions about its now-public finances.
is plotting a stream on December 9th, Pantheon became the fourth Ship of Heroes City of Heroes spiritual successor (and has crowdfunding on the way), began testing alpha 26, Richard Garriott donated an in-game skull to a tavern in Star Citizen , and Shroud of the Avatar kicked off its closed alpha (for which we still have The Exiled keys!).
Finally, we sat down with
to chat about the state of the game and its graphics plans for 2017. Project Gorgon’s Eric Heimburg
Read on for more on what’s up with MMO crowdfunding over the last couple of weeks and the regular roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’ve got our eye on!
The Exiled’s closed alpha trailer
VIDEO Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- The most recent large patch for Albion Online is live and in the wild right now, and if you're playing the game's beta, you probably have had plenty of time…
Albion Online recaps the ups and downs of the Faye update
- How many spiritual successors will it take to fill the void that was left by City of Heroes' shutdown? We now know the answer: four. It takes four spiritual successors…
Ship of Heroes becomes the fourth City of Heroes spiritual successor
- In this week's episode of Star Citizen Around the Verse, Sandi Gardiner is joined by Technical Director Sean Tracy to issue the latest big announcement for the game: The 2.6…
Star Citizen begins testing 2.6 alpha, aims to release it on December 16
- It's always important to keep in mind that early access is quite often just an alpha in need of a great amount of construction and experimentation. As Hero's Song barrels…
Hero’s Song adds dungeon boss encounters, friends list, and roadways
- This month's Camelot Unchained newsletter has arrived, and it's packed -- official word count: 7886. On the staffing front, which is net good news, the team has said farewell to…
Camelot Unchained picks up new staffers, explains big battles
- As many of you are well aware, we here at Massively OP are pretty fascinated with the work being done by MMO industry veterans Eric Heimburg and Sandra Powers on Project…
Nature cops who punch kraken: Catching up with Project Gorgon’s Eric Heimburg
- As the City of Titans team picks up steam in anticipation for the game's fall 2018 launch window, there are some tough choices to be made about what will and…
City of Titans lays out its ‘huge’ metropolis map
- The closed alpha for The Exiled -- the game formerly known as Das Tal -- has begun! From December 1st to December 21st, early backers and those with keys can…
The Exiled begins its closed alpha today, and we’ve got keys!
- ArtCraft announced today day that it's "officially crossed the minimum necessary threshold" for its latest crowdfunding effort for Crowfall. It's now raised $152,084 with 47 days to go. In November,…
Crowfall crosses minimum goal for its equity crowdfunding effort
- Since ancient times, the Keepers of Albion have prowled the wilds of Albion Online, rejecting civilization and venerating the wild. The latest lore video for the game shows off exactly…
Albion Online shows off the Keepers of Albion
- There's just a few days left for you to pick up older Crowfall pledge packages, ArtCraft reminded players this week. "We had originally planned to retire these 2016 packages and…
Crowfall is retiring 2016 pledge packages on December 5
- A fair chunk of gameplay in The Exiled does involve having a clan to call your own, but up until now finding one has mostly been a matter of meeting…
The Exiled adds in a clan finder and whispering chat
- If you follow Shroud of the Avatar, you already know that studio Portalarium does seasonal streamed fundraisers to drive pledges for the game. Yesterday's "Fall into Winter Telethon" raised $112,500 and…
Richard Garriott donates skull to player tavern during Shroud of the Avatar telethon
- Hopefully you weren't cursed by the fact that Guardians of Ember failed to meet its announced early access launch back in September. Obviously, the title was delayed from its public debut…
Guardians of Ember comes to early access on December 13
- Game Director Robin Henkys kicked off the first of a series of Albion Online development recap videos this past week to give players an update on what's happening behind the…
Albion Online to improve its PvE experiencce
- It's the end of the world. Again and again and again. Lazarus is an unusual space roguelike shooter in which players fly 2-D ships and try to save the human…
Space roguelike Lazarus kicks off persistent servers
- While it was originally slated to come out this year, the sky sailing World Adrift announced on Friday that it is delaying its early access release to the beginning of…
Worlds Adrift announces Q1 2017 early access launch
- The future is amazing, is it not? With spaceships, fabricators, and interplanetary colonization, there's no limit to what can be done! What's that you say? It's not a glorious future…
Fragmented invents never-rotting food
- City of Titans fans, we have some really good news for you today! The dev team posted an image on Facebook to announce the game's launch window. The date? Fall…
City of Titans targets a fall 2018 launch
- While a full-fledged expansion for Grim Dawn is in the works, that doesn't mean the team has abandoned updates for the core game in the meantime. In fact, a new…
Grim Dawn previews December update
- The frontiers of Albion Online have expanded to include the wilds of its new forest biome. The ancient woods have plenty of resources, but those attempting to harvest them might…
Albion Online salutes its Faye update
- If you thought that your politically divided family dinner table will be the most awkward situation this Thanksgiving week, then you need to haul yourself over to Elite Dangerous' neck…
Elite Dangerous players accuse Frontier of ignoring combat exploit
- Soon, you will be exploring a shattered landscape rife with the bones of the fallen, awash in a sea of wrath and human misery. But if you want a break…
Pre-alpha testing begins for Edengrad
- There are eight classes currently playable in Crowfall's pre-alpha: the Champion, Ranger, Druid, Confessor, Knight, Myrmidon, Duelist, and Legionnaire. So how would you like to hear about one that no…
Crowfall introduces the female Templar class
- As with every one before it, Shroud of the Avatar’s Update of the Avatar #203 packs a sleigh full of news. This time, however, it also has brings literal presents!…
Shroud of the Avatar gets gifty with exchangeable present boxes
- Didn't get around to backing Dual Universe back when it busted through its Kickstarter goal? Novaquark announced today that it would still like your money, and you can hand it…
Dual Universe’s new crowdfunding portal is now live
- Back in 2013, Composer Jeremy Soule (Landmark, Guild Wars 2) launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise $10,000 to fund his personal project of creating a classical music album called The…
Where is Jeremy Soule’s Kickstarter symphony?
- A smaller build went live in Project Gorgon's alpha this past week, bringing revisions to the hammer and ice magic skill sets. The hammer set received the most love, with…
Project Gorgon patches alpha while holding an Indiegogo contest Star Citizen’s Around the Verse
VIDEO Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful. Work continues.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; hit open beta in October.
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
Caribbean Conquest (Invenio) – Kickstarter canceled (site offline).
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
( Citadel of Sorcery MMO Magic, Inc.) – Open donations.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; launch planned for fall 2018.
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter over, donor preorder packs.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, now has donor platform.
( Eco Strange Loop Games)
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded; now in pre-alpha.
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, multiple times now.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo made $94K. Early access alpha.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Successful Kickstarter, now playable.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations, no end date.
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Craneballs) – Successful Planet Nomads Kickstarter.
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries. . Indiegogo ends Dec
( Pumpkin Online Monique)
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
( The Repopulation Above & Beyond Technologies) – In middle of engine do-over.
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; early access delayed to 2017.
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon.
( Shards Online Citadel Studios)
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Successful KS. Final wipe/soft launch July 2016.
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – In middle of year-long revamp after funding surge.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017. Shroud of the Avatar community vid
With thanks to Cramit and Reht!