The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This week we witnessed Destiny laying the foundation for its incoming Rise of Iron expansion. We’ve got that plus stories and videos from EverQuest II, Path of Exile, EVE Online, and more, all waiting for you after the break!
New Games and Testing
- Soulworker Online: Smilegate announced that it will be handling operations for this anime MMO in Southeast Asia, South Korea, and South America. Essentially, if it’s got the word “south” in it, Smilegate might be involved.
- Eternal Crusade: The “risky deployment” of Patch #22 went off, bringing a revamp to items and loadouts as well as new character advancement trees.
- Paladins: Tencent has secured the publishing rights to this title in China, where the game will get a new China-based map, go into testing in early 2017, and release later that year.
- No Man’s Sky: The largest collection of bug fixes and tweaks has landed in the game with Patch 1.07. You’re welcome, space pilots.
- Destiny: Rise of Iron is very near now, and this past week’s 2.4.0 update preloaded content for the expansion. “These changes will alter the Destiny sandbox, update the player experience, and prepare the world of the game for the next story we are about to tell.”
- Heroes of Incredible Tales: This mobile ARPG just hit five million downloads, and to celebrate the team is hosting in-game promotions and giveaways during the month of September. [Source: press release]
Odds and Ends
- Path of Exile: Take a gander at several new loading screen pictures — and while you’re at it, you can download them to use as wallpaper.
- SWGEmu: The dev team is re-enabling veteran rewards and wiping all previous rewards so that everyone can choose fresh at the same time.
- EverQuest II: The battleground system is now in beta testing, allowing players “to participate in a balanced fight, where skill is the most significant factor.”
- Armored Warfare: With a lot of changes in the works for the game, the devs took the time to answer a slew of player questions about what’s to come.
- EVE Online: The sound team pumped out another login theme this past week, this one for YC118.8. Want to listen to it? We won’t stop you; it’s right after these words. Well, these words. These too. Basically, when this paragraph ends, the music will begin.
Here’s your odd cross-promotion for the week: World of Tanks Blitz is working on some sort of project with Sega’s Valkyrie Chronicles. Both titles feature tanks, so I guess that’s your point of common interest. Here’s the teaser trailer to spur speculation: