The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. See any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This week we’ll look at the incredible account of a gamer who donated hundreds of items of Blizzard memorabilia to a museum, marvel at castle sieges in Archlord 2, give you a heads-up on SWTOR’s expansion, and more!
- Archlord 2: The Season of Siege patch came out last week with the new castle siege mode. Players can also take advantage of a free level jump until September 15th to instantly boost their characters from 20 to 54 with the click of a button. [patch notes]
- AD2460: Yesterday’s patch added space stations, three new frigates, and an UI overhaul. [patch notice]
- Guns of Icarus: The alliance mode prototype came out this past Friday.
- The Secret World: Among Update 1.12.1’s changes are a couple of new vendors that should make life with augments a little easier. [patch notes, thanks to Nordavind for the tip!]
- Dark Age of Camelot: Exciting things are afoot in DAoC, as the game’s Agramon zone is being renamed, new terrain textures are being installed, and the fifth chapter of the Otherworlds campain is slated to launch on September 8th. [newsletter]
- RuneScape: There’s a lot to do this month in RuneScape, including a new quest inside Castle Drakan, a fishing contest, the start of the 2015 Clan Cup, and a double XP weekend on September 25th.
Odds and Ends
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Here’s a helpful little PSA for those embarking on the expansion next month: The devs confirmed that class stories and planetary arcs will still be intact for those playing through the level 1 to 60 content.
- WildStar: Speaking of PSAs, blog Moonshine Mansion notes that WildStar will be wiping any characters left on the arkship tutorial when F2P hits, so get them off of there or risk their destruction!
- Diablo III: With Season 4 out the door, Blizzard’s devs took some time to answer a bunch of questions from the community on Reddit.
- Children of Ur: Go behind the scenes of this Glitch spiritual successor to see what kind of tools the team is using to make the game.
- Elder Scrolls Online: Enjoy the lighter side of the game by taking advice from a humanoid cat. Or don’t. We are not here to tell you how to live your life.
- An analysis of a large gamer survey found that “gender differences aligned with stereotypes of male and female gamers,” with females generally driven by design, fantasy, story, and completion while males are focused on competition, challenge, excitement, and strategy. [Thanks to Dengar for the tip!]
- Former Blizzard Entertainment SAS COO Paul Sams donated his 1,500-strong personal collection of Blizzard items to the Strong National Museum of Play. “This collection holds a very dear place in my heart and I wanted to ensure that the materials would be properly preserved for many decades to come,” he said.
MapleStory 2 is “the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen” according to YouTuber Lost Anju. Check out her initial impressions in the following video:
While this is not the official trailer for Star Trek Online’s New Dawn update, you can’t deny that Allen Cayen aka ZEF_STO hasn’t done a bang-up job making a fan video that is worthy of the Trek name. [Thanks to Chad for the tip!]
Order & Chaos 2: Redemption is coming very soon, and the developers want to show off two new features for the game: instant quests and solo dungeons. What do you think?