The MOP Up: Black Desert’s Ninja arrives in Southeast Asia (February 11, 2018)
The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
Maybe you’ll discover a new game in this space — or be reminded of an old favorite! This week we have stories and videos from Vendetta Online, Worlds Adrift, Monster Hunter World, Hellion, Rust, Skyforge, Blade and Soul, Portal Knights, Final Fantasy XI, Dreadnought, PUBG, Hyper Universe, Crossout, Black Desert, Dark and Light, H1Z1, Dauntless, Robocraft, Fortnite, War of Rights, Cosmos Invictus, Ultima Online, and Vendetta Online, all waiting for you after the break!
New Games and Testing
- Cosmos Invictus: This sci-fi card game is 75% done with development and is running a Kickstarter campaign to fund the rest.
- Magic: the Gathering: Netmarble announced a new and untitled mobile game that it has been developing with Wizards of the Coast. It should be coming out later this year. [Source: Press release]
- Fear the Wolves: Vostok Games is prepping yet another battle royale game, this one set in a post-apocalyptic landscape.
- Portal Knights: The action RPG is now available on Nintendo Switch’s store. [Source: press release]
- Rust: The game has finally cast off its “early access crutch.”
- Hellion: Check out this preview of upcoming changes to life support, airlock, and security systems.
- Worlds Adrift: The dev team laid out some of its current projects, such as preparing an alliance system and creating visual effects for the island creator.
- Vendetta Online: A February 3rd patch added buddy invite buttons to the group tab and a help menu for the GearVR controller.
- War of Rights: Update 95 added 32 new regiments and “reduced headbobbing by 50%.”
- Dauntless: Closed Beta 0.3.5 made a few more quality-of-life improvements and laid the foundation for future updates.
- PUBG: The studio is testing out an anticipated anti-cheat patch. Also, the game’s mobile version is getting grudging approval from games journalists.
- Final Fantasy XI: The February 9th update added the Windurst Dynamis-Divergence Area for players to conquer.
- Monster Hunter World: This week saw a small bug fix patch go out for consoles to address some issues, such as players not being able to claim the celebration item pack.
- Dark and Light: How would you spend a romantic evening? Tell this studio and you might win a prize!
- My.com: The games publisher is hosting a PvP arena with events in Skyforge, Armored Warfare, Revelation Online, and Warface.
- Blade and Soul: This week’s Battle Brawl tournament teams have been finalized. Go team!
- Skyforge: Through February 26th, there’s a contest for players to record and share their favorite arena moment.
Odds and Ends
- Ultima Online: The Stygian Abyss is being removed from the game store in preparation for free-to-play this spring.
- E3 2018: You can buy your public ticket to E3 starting February 12th!
- Conan the Barbarian: Amazon is developing a new TV show set in this universe. Funcom has to be pleased.
- E-sports: NetEase is running a strong campaign to push e-sports in the company, including developing 10 battle royale titles and investing $47 million into teams.
- Fortnite: Epic added Facebook friend linking functionality, if that’s your thing.
- Robocraft: This game is adding a battle royale mode because OF COURSE IT IS.
- StarCraft 2: Sasha Hostyn just won $50,000 and became the first female winner of a major global e-sports tournament.
- H1Z1: Think you have the stuff to become a professional e-sports player? Here’s how you can flag yourself as a free agent.
- Viacom: The company shut down its VR studio, Viacom Next, and laid off several employees.
- Vendetta Online: February’s newsletter covered the new Behemoth-class transport visual overhaul and how the team is adding some popular mods into the game.
Dreadnought overhauled its user interface for Patch 1.11, check it out:
Aion Europe posted the first entry in a new community dev series:
The newly launched 2-D MOBA Hyper Universe posted its spring 2018 roadmap:
The Ninja class (and other updates) has arrived on Black Desert’s Aoutheast Asia server:
The Firestarters faction is finally live on Crossout’s test servers: