This week in MMO crowdfunding news, we learned that
is dropping a Steam demo on Monday as a tie-in with Veterans Day and Remembrance Day. The Destiny’s Sword Kickstarted MMO features game play that’s meant to “explore the long term consequences of conflict” among your characters. “The pre-alpha demo offers an early look at a slice of life in Destiny’s Sword, from leading your squad in battle to dealing with the aftermath of war back in the barracks.”
The Kickstarter for
also continues on this week as the Swedish studio has surged past the Book of Travels $130K mark with two weeks left to campaign. Meanwhile, updated players on its Alpha 0.3 release, Temtem previewed changes coming for new season, Albion Online was delayed again, and Camelot Unchained dropped a development video on the Ashes of Creation design of the cursed charger.
Finally, we took a look at the character creator betas for both
Ship of Heroes
City of Titans
. Read on for more on what’s been up with MMO crowdfunding over the last couple of weeks, plus our roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’re following!
Book of Travels
Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- Every once in a while, Hollywood releases a pair of movies from different studios at the same time that cover, more or less, the same subject. It's always a bizarre…
Into the Super-verse: Ship of Heroes’ character creator is bare-bones yet still engaging
- After multiple rounds of alpha this past spring and summer, the SpatialOS MMORPG sandbox Fractured will finally launch into Alpha 2 this month. "The first testing phase, labeled Alpha 2…
Fractured’s November alpha will include horizontal character progression
- Sure, Book of Travels sounds neat, and it clearly is drawing in lots of crowdfunding support, but just what happens in the game? The most recent Kickstarter update has offered…
Book of Travels explains its event system, NPC behavior, and trading economy
- This may just be the more unique concert performance that you will ever witness in an MMORPG - at least the most unique since you saw KORN a few months…
Rock band Alice in Chains threw a wicked AdventureQuest 3D concert
- We hope you got your fill of the Ship of Heroes' character creator beta this week because it's coming to a close today, following the "crush the server" event last…
Ship of Heroes’ final character creator beta event is this morning – save your costumes!
- This week's Star Citizen video digest has a little mission for you, should you choose to accept it. An 890 Jump has been taken over by pirates, and you must…
Star Citizen shows off a new mission involving a hijacked 890 Jump spaceship
- Don't make it too obvious, but guys, you have to check that sweet Pantheon out. See it? That game must have gone to a salon or been the recipient of…
Brad McQuaid’s Pantheon gives a glimpse of its beautiful new world in new trailer
- What's going on in Ship of Heroes lately? This past week has been a character creator closed beta test with a number of events, and Massively OP's MJ is diving…
The Stream Team: Testing Ship of Heroes’ character creation closed beta with Heroic Games
- Just because a game labels itself "serene" doesn't mean that it lacks a strong appeal. In fact, many MMO players looking for a change from the constant "we have to…
Book of Travels’ Kickstarter pushes past 3,000 backers and $119,000 raised
- Ready-Up Studios, the developer of the MMORPG Oath, has come out of its recent radio silence with a message from the game's Discord regarding its new art studio, what this…
Oath resurfaces with a quick statement about its new art studio and future previews
- It would seem there are still lots of mysteries to find in the void of Elite: Dangerous. One such discovery was made Twitch streamer Malic_VR live on his channel, where…
An Elite: Dangerous player has discovered a generation ship still full of living people
- Derek Brinkmann of Legends of Aria painted himself in blood and walked into the wolves' den of the MMORPG subreddit for that most time-honored tradition of digital self-flagellation, the AMA.…
Legends of Aria’s Reddit AMA addresses thieving skills, crafting, and lessons learned
- This past Thursday saw a number of devs from Ashes of Creation provide updates and details on work being done on the MMORPG. As usual, the stream covered a pretty…
Ashes of Creation shows off work on castle sieges, building destruction, and mounts in a livestream
- Today in "weird crossovers that we really didn't expect to happen," the throne war MMO Crowfall was referenced in and even used for a scene in the HBO comedy series…
Crowfall gets a nod in HBO’s comedy Silicon Valley
- If you ever thought Massively OP's MJ could take an entire stream to make a character, you wouldn't be wrong. She hasn't... until now! She finally has that chance thanks…
The Stream Team: A first look at City of Titans’ character creator
- Ship of Heroes is making the most of its one-week character creator alpha, with multiple events and patches to keep everything humming. "We actually added about 60 new people to…
Ship of Heroes’ character creator beta is running a scavenger hunt event tonight
- So Dual Universe now lets players build stuff in space. Even on paper, that sounds tricky, nevermind having to use Space Cores, line them up, and make sure everything fits…
Dual Universe releases building tutorial video on Space Core alignment
- Camelot Unchained has had a busy month of work as one can gather from the game's monthly Unveiled newsletter, which takes a look back at efforts put towards the developing…
Camelot Unchained recounts October’s development updates in its monthly newsletter
- As the character creation tool beta for Ship of Heroes rolls on, the folks at Heroic Games are hard at work making adjustments to the beta build and they'd like…
Ship of Heroes tweaks character creation tool beta, plans costume contest today
- The Ship of Heroes character creator tool beta has officially begun as of noon today, so superhero fans, now you have two chara builders to go try out. "This is…
Ship of Heroes’ character creation tool beta has officially begun
- Mark this date in your history books because the battle of superhero MMO character builders is on! Both Ship of Heroes and City of Titans are releasing their character builders…
Into the Super-Verse: Putting City of Titans’ character builder through its paces
- The weekly video digest for Star Citizen happened to land right on Halloween, and the devs absolutely went in on the theme, renaming the episode of Inside Star Citizen to…
Inside Star Citizen puts on a Halloween costume and shows off updates to melee combat
- (This piece has been updated at the end with stream notes.) Throughout its long (long) development history, Camelot Unchained has been almost mechanical about its weekly updates - on Fridays.…
Camelot Unchained isn’t launching this year, delays until at least 2020
- Do you remember when Chronicles of Elyria raised $1.36 million on Kickstarter back in 2016 to make its highly ambitious (and so far, unfinished) MMORPG? Soulbound Studios certainly wants to…
Chronicles of Elyria has raised $7.7 million from gamers to date
- We're just about to see the launch of a character creator tool for our second superhero MMO of the month, as Ship of Heroes' tool launches for backers on Friday.…
Ship of Heroes says its character creator is a ‘huge step up from games like City of Heroes and SWTOR’
- Today marks another update launch for Shroud of the Avatar, which is bringing some general improvements to several parts of the game, including the Despair dungeon, scenes in Tartarus, and…
Shroud of the Avatar’s Release 71 adjusts Tartarus, the Despair dungeon, and several combat skills
- If you've been feeling a bit confused by all of Legends of Aria's recent changes, my friends, you are not alone. Back in August, Citadel Studios finally brought the game…
Legends of Aria is going semi-free-to-play with sweeping New Dawn update
- If you love the Path of Exile universe and wish you could play in it even when you're not sitting at your PC or console, maybe you'll fancy a pen-and-paper…
Check out Path of Exile’s new pen-and-paper solo adventure book, written by Chris Kluwe
- If you've been eyeing Star Citizen's alpha 3.7 incremental patches wondering whether there's enough there there to take a peek, then good news for you because you can soon take…
Star Citizen is kicking off a free-fly for alpha 3.7 right now
- Bob Ross, in his infinite wisdom, would sometimes make "happy accidents" while painting where he took a mistaken attempt and made it something new and beautiful. One such happy accident…
Camelot Unchained reviews its pathfinding code and makes happy accidents with armor City of Titans
VIDEO Ashes of Creation
VIDEO Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful, dev halted in 2018.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; beta began Oct 2016.
(Sandbox) – Launched July 2017, hit Steam May 2018. Albion Online
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016.
(Intrepid Studios) – Successful KS. Alpha zero. Ashes of Creation
(Might and Delight) – Book of Travels Kickstarter ends November 24.
(Cylinder) – Broke Protocol Unsuccessful KS. In free early access. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
( Caribbean Conquest Invenio) – First KS canceled, second ended unsuccessfully.
(Orode) – Codename Reality Kickstarter unsuccessful.
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
(Homecoming) – Monthly City of Heroes Homecoming donation rounds.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; Issue 0 delayed into 2019.
(Beawesome) – Kickstarter successful. Day of Dragons
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
(2Dogs) – Destiny’s Sword Kickstarter successful June 2019.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter. Probably dead.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, donor platform. Backer alpha.
( Eco Strange Loop Games) – Funded, now in alpha.
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded. Abandoned, then not?
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and fully launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
(Fire Hurts) – Endless Trials Kickstarter canceled.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
(PSB) – EverFeud Kickstarter canceled.
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
(Dynamight) – Fractured Kickstarter successful. Alpha 2.
( Global Adventures SubaGames) – Kickstarter funded.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, now allegedly in refund process.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
(Runewaker) – Funded and launched. Guardians of Ember
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo. Canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Funded and launched.
( Legends of Aria Citadel Studios) – Kickstarted as Shards Online. Early access.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended. Currently in beta.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Maestros of the Anthymn String Theory) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Maguss) – Indiegogo successful; open beta. Maguss
(Infinity Online Studios) – Mekria Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Ready-Up) – Oath Kickstarter funded.
(Ad Alternum) – OrbusVR KS funded March 2017. In early access.
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations. Pre-alpha.
(Brain Stone GmbH): First Kickstarter canceled, second funded. Pantropy
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Alderon) – Path of Titans Indiegogo.
(Craneballs) – Planet Nomads Kickstarted, early access launched sans multiplayer.
(Bebop Games) – Kickstarter funded May 2019. Playcraft
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries + Indiegogo. Early access.
(POW) – Project Oasis World Kickstarter unsuccessful.
( Pumpkin Online Monique) – Downgrading from MMORPG.
(Killerwhale) – RAW Kickstarter canceled by Kickstarter.
(Ben Olding) – Starfighter Infinity Kickstarter funded. Early access.
(Crema) – Temtem Kickstarter fully funded; now in alpha.
(Fairytale Distillery) – fka Das Tal; The Exiled KS unsuccessful. Early access.
– The Flower of Knighthood Kickstarter canceled.
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
(Idea Fabrik) – Kickstarted twice by A&B. Back in alpha. The Repopulation
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; in early access but not active dev.
(Tarhead Studio) – Kickstarter successful. RUiN
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
(Stormhaven) – Saga of Lucimia Indiegogo. Intermittent pre-alphas.
(Klang Games) – Kickstarter launching in 2020. Seed
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon, Kickstarter funded.
(Heroic) – Ship of Heroes Kickstarter canceled, beta expected before 2020.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Soft launch July 2016. Launch March 2018.
(Defun) – Spycursion Kickstarter unsuccessful.
(Cloud Imperium) – Beta delayed until at least 2020. Squadron 42
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages. Backer alpha.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – Totally abandoned without a word. Now considered a scam.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017.
(Campfire Games) – Successful Kickstarter; in early access. War of Rights
(Ramen) – Kickstarter successfully funded. Zenith Destiny’s Sword
Yes, some crowdfunded MMOs most definitely do succeed. But others crash and burn, and you need to hear about the whole spectrum of games that sought your money early in exchange for the promise of input and transparency. And that’s exactly what
Make My MMO
does every Saturday. Help us keep ’em accountable, would ya?