This week in MMO crowdfunding, cyberpunk MMORPG
joins our list; it’s already blasted past its original $25,000 Kickstarter ask with a whole month to go. Zenith
ran a one-day-only Steam test for its battle royale mode, closing it down with a brand-new trailer for the MMORPG itself. Ashes of Creation
announced major content coming in its September and December patches, Elite Dangerous teased its social club, Ship of Heroes announced the Blight league, Path of Exile talked climates, Pantheon raised eyebrows with a fluff video, and we streamed the Star Citizen KORN concert in . AQ3D
Read on for more on what’s been up with MMO crowdfunding over the last couple of weeks, plus our roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’re following!
Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- Don't worry - Ever, Jane is as fine as ever. But it popped back on our team's radar this week as a game we haven't checked in on for a…
Whatever happened to the Jane Austen MMO Ever, Jane?
- Being a mayor is nice and all, but being a duke or duchess sounds way more important and very likely comes with far fancier hats to wear. However, if you…
Chronicles of Elyria will let mayors upgrade to a ducal title without upgrading their pledge
- Quality Assurance. It's certainly not the most glamorous job in video game development, and some would likely balk at the idea that such a department exists for a game that's…
Inside Star Citizen devotes an entire episode to the game’s quality assurance team
- Fresh outta Gamescom is the news that Elite Dangerous is cooking up multiple updates for commanders across the galaxy. First up: the September Update. Launching September 17th for PC, PlayStation…
Elite Dangerous will revamp the newbie experience in September, add fleet carriers in December
- MMO players keeping an eye on Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen have probably noticed that Visionary Realms has been talking about Project Faerthale for a long time, and that's because,…
Pantheon talks pre-alpha phases and interactive climates in latest newsletter
- It's patch day for the largest batch of City of Heroes rogue servers, as the Homecoming team has pushed live part of the beta patch that's been cooking all month.…
Today’s City of Heroes’ Homecoming patch future-proofs the rogue servers for Mac players
- Wading into the Ashes of Creation community is one of those things that makes me wish I had those beach sandals that keep the sharp rocks and pointy shells out…
Ashes of Creation drops new gameplay trailer after battle royale Steam test
- Fall is creeping up on us, and that means back to school is almost -- if not already -- here. That also means it is back to the beginning as…
Path of Exile announces Blight league for September 6 – here’s our preview interview with Grinding Gear!
- You can do a lot in games nowadays, so why not attend a concert? Even better, get some sweet swag while you are there? AQ3D is opening its Coliseum in…
The Stream Team: AdventureQuest 3D’s KORN concert is live!
- As Ashes of Creation backers and fans continue to wait for the MMORPG to emerge from the caverns of development, at least there's a distraction to keep the community occupied.…
Ashes of Creation’s next Apocalypse battle royale playtest is running today on Steam
- Last week, the folks at Camelot Unchained were focusing on making sure their NPCs were dolts when it comes to moving around in a 3D space. That work continues apace…
Camelot Unchained continues work to make NPCs behave properly and look good doing it
- Back in June, we covered a heart-warming story out of the No Man's Sky community, as player sought to raise money on a GoFundMe specifically to install a billboard thanking…
Remember the No Man’s Sky player-funded billboard? It’s up now!
- So who's excited about the upcoming character creator beta in Ship of Heroes? For those of you curious about what to expect, Heroic Games has released a new video demonstrating…
Ship of Heroes previews the ritzy night club that’ll launch with the character creator beta
- There are two systems being developed for City of Titans that kind of work hand-in-hand with one another, at least in a sense that they modify the upcoming MMO's combat…
City of Titans talks about how Momentum and Reserves mechanics change the face of combat
- If you want to watch a community livestream about Shroud of the Avatar's community team hosting a fishing contest in fetid water, gosh, today is your day. The stream itself…
Shroud of the Avatar hosts a livestream about fishing in fetid water
- The common refrain/hashtag espoused by Crowfall is "take the throne," which sort of references the fact that campaigns have a limited time and see a faction hoisted up as the…
Players can now compete in Crowfall’s Trial of Gaea for a stat-buffing Badge
- The latest patch for Albion Online is a bit frustrating in the sense that most patches add things. Today's patch is mostly taking things away, with a large selection of…
Albion Online removes tons of items from its marketplace in advance of its wardrobe system
- Still fresh off its Steam early access launch last week, Legends of Aria has posted a new dev blog all about the Professions system. "Professions" is probably a bit of…
Legends of Aria explains the new professions system it launched with Steam early access
- We're seven days removed from the Steam early access launch of Legends of Aria, so let's take stock of where things stand, shall we? First up is a hotfix which…
Legends of Aria has seen a 3X increase in players since hitting Steam
- Here's something new for fans of gaming with a headset: Zenith, a VR MMO in development right now from Ramen VR, aiming to provide players with a new VR online…
Zenith is a new SpatialOS cyberpunk VR MMORPG – and its Kickstarter just went live
- Apart from its brief announcement last week, City of Heroes' Homecoming Team has been relatively quiet the past few months. Where once the rogue server group with over a hundred…
City of Heroes’ Homecoming Team finally posted a new beta patch after months of public quiet
- When it came to the explosion of spiritual successors to City of Heroes, there's definitely something to be said about being first on the scene. City of Titans got out…
Into the Super-verse: How Ship of Heroes is winning the superhero race
- In MMORPGs, horses are to mounts as humans are to races -- in other words, they're the default standard. And for a reason, because who doesn't love and appreciate these…
Ashes of Creation trots out great-looking stallions
- Too much of a good thing can be a good thing, but it can also be too much. The Ship of Heroes character creator will, evidently, have a whole lot…
Ship of Heroes’ character creator will have a randomize button to help with choice overload
- There's a notable change arriving to Albion Online's land auctions, and while it might seem like a little thing it has far-reaching implications for the game's overall economy. Simply put,…
Albion Online changes its land auctions to collect more from winning bids
- Exactly one month ago, tangent to our interview with the Homecoming server team that's part now-flourishing City of Heroes rogue server community, we also spoke to Tony Vazquez, the administrator…
City of Heroes’ Homecoming rogue servers have joined the Titan Network/NCsoft negotiations
- It's been a couple of months since we heard much from The Repopulation, but delays ensured that the most recent dev blog combines July and August together and details updates to…
The Repopulation checks in with an update on vehicles and mounts
- The end of July saw Crowfall's latest ACE Q&A session, which was held back on account of J. Todd Coleman's work travel. Both he and design director Thomas Blair are…
Crowfall’s July ACE Q&A dissects the Fortunes of War update Ashes of Creation
VIDEO Elite Dangerous
VIDEO Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful, dev halted in 2018.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; beta began Oct 2016.
(Sandbox) – Launched July 2017, hit Steam May 2018. Albion Online
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016.
(Intrepid Studios) – Successful KS. Alpha zero. Ashes of Creation
(Cylinder) – Broke Protocol Unsuccessful KS. In free early access. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
( Caribbean Conquest Invenio) – First KS canceled, second ended unsuccessfully.
(Orode) – Codename Reality Kickstarter unsuccessful.
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
(Homecoming) – Monthly City of Heroes Homecoming donation rounds.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; Issue 0 delayed into 2019.
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
(2Dogs) – Destiny’s Sword Kickstarter successful June 2019.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter. Probably dead.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, donor platform. Backer alpha.
( Eco Strange Loop Games) – Funded, now in alpha.
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded. Abandoned, then not?
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and fully launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
(Fire Hurts) – Endless Trials Kickstarter canceled.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
(PSB) – EverFeud Kickstarter canceled.
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
(Dynamight) – Fractured Kickstarter successful. Alpha 2.
( Global Adventures SubaGames) – Kickstarter funded.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, now allegedly in refund process.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
(Runewaker) – Funded and launched. Guardians of Ember
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo. Canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Funded and launched.
( Legends of Aria Citadel Studios) – Kickstarted as Shards Online. Early access.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended. Currently in beta.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Maestros of the Anthymn String Theory) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Maguss) – Indiegogo successful; open beta. Maguss
(Infinity Online Studios) – Mekria Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Ready-Up) – Oath Kickstarter funded.
(Ad Alternum) – OrbusVR KS funded March 2017. In early access.
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations. Pre-alpha.
(Brain Stone GmbH): First Kickstarter canceled, second funded. Pantropy
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Alderon) – Path of Titans Indiegogo.
(Craneballs) – Planet Nomads Kickstarted, early access launched sans multiplayer.
(Bebop Games) – Kickstarter funded May 2019. Playcraft
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries + Indiegogo. Early access.
(POW) – Project Oasis World Kickstarter unsuccessful.
( Pumpkin Online Monique) – Downgrading from MMORPG.
(Killerwhale) – RAW Kickstarter canceled by Kickstarter.
(Ben Olding) – Starfighter Infinity Kickstarter funded. Early access.
(Crema) – Temtem Kickstarter fully funded; now in alpha.
(Fairytale Distillery) – fka Das Tal; The Exiled KS unsuccessful. Early access.
– The Flower of Knighthood Kickstarter canceled.
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
(Idea Fabrik) – Kickstarted twice by A&B. Back in alpha. The Repopulation
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; in early access but not active dev.
(Tarhead Studio) – Kickstarter successful. RUiN
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
(Stormhaven) – Saga of Lucimia Indiegogo. Intermittent pre-alphas.
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon, Kickstarter funded.
(Heroic) – Ship of Heroes Kickstarter canceled, beta expected before 2020.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Soft launch July 2016. Launch March 2018.
(Defun) – Spycursion Kickstarter unsuccessful.
(Cloud Imperium) – Beta delayed until at least 2020. Squadron 42
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages. Backer alpha.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – Totally abandoned without a word. Now considered a scam.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017.
(Campfire Games) – Successful Kickstarter; in early access. War of Rights
(Ramen) – Zenith Kickstarter ends Sept 26. Ship of Heroes
Yes, some crowdfunded MMOs most definitely do succeed. But others crash and burn, and you need to hear about the whole spectrum of games that sought your money early in exchange for the promise of input and transparency. And that’s exactly what
Make My MMO
does every Saturday. Help us keep ’em accountable, would ya?