The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This week we’ll search our feelings about Blizzard possibly taking some of its IPs to mobile, grapple with Lineage Eternal’s delay, find out what Saga of Lucimia defines what an “epic adventure” is in an MMO, discover the launch date for Chronicle: RuneScape Legends, and more!
New Games and Testing
- ECO: Alpha 4 is on the way, and it’s bringing with it lots of new systems: power, transport, logging, and building. The studio also added a couple of new team members to the project.
- Worlds Adrift: Does concept art catch your eye? Read up on how the artists create these pieces for the game’s visual development.
- Overwatch: Blizzard warns cheaters that if they’re caught, they’ll be subject to permanent bans from the upcoming team shooter.
- Saga of Lucimia: What defines “epic?” According to this game’s devs, it sure ain’t anything you can do solo or in a short amount of time.
- Chronicle: RuneScape Legends: The official Steam launch date for this spin-off card game has been set: May 26th. Log in between now and then to collect free packs!
- Astral Heroes: This digital card game is trying to get community approval for Steam Greenlight. Will you vote or not?
- Life is Feudal: The beta for this fantasy game is closer than ever, especially with the release of an important patch this past week.
- Shadowverse: This Asian digital card game is aiming for an open beta/soft launch on both Android and iOS devices this June.
- Lineage Eternal: The Korean closed beta test has been delayed at least a few months, although it could start up as soon as June.
- EVE Online: There was a small Citadel patch put out last week that included a notice about the game’s new shorter official downtime.
- World of Tanks: The recent “tank hunter” update brought a whopping 23 tank destroyers to the PlayStation 4 version of this multiplayer game. [Source: Press release]
- TERA: TERA’s Secrets & Shadows update comes this week, and the devs have a rundown on what this means for the game over the next month.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: June’s Patch 4.5 will bring quite a few changes for classes. Dulfy has the rundown so that you can see how this will impact your character.
Events and Contests
- Riders of Icarus: Win a trip to Dragon*Con or an Alienware laptop by entering in this sweepstakes.
- Path of Exile: The action-RPG has some statistics and reports from its two-week events. Looks like Ascendants are quite popular!
- APB: Reloaded: Player voting has begun to pick which seasonal events are to be scheduled.
Odds and Ends
- Blizzard: King’s CEO has been talking about taking Activision and Blizzard IPs into the mobile arena. Could a mobile Diablo or Warcraft game be in our future?
- RIFT: Learn about the lore behind the mysterious tower of Ahnket — will you dare venture inside?
- Elder Scrolls Online: Astara Caerellius doesn’t look like a character you’d want to cross. Find out more about her in this “meet the character” piece.
- Esports: Over a billion people will at least be aware, if not involved, in esports by the end of this year, according to one analyst.
- Legend of DOTA: Blizzard and Valve have come to a settlement with Chinese companies over copyright infringements.
- Ubisoft: The company’s latest financials are in, with an upbeat report thanks in part to The Division’s earnings.
- Skyforge: What is Ignum Monestary and, more importantly, will you want to work it into your travel plans? Find out in this overview!
Videos and Music
Here’s some relaxing music to listen to while you read this column: EVE Online’s new “Hail to the Explorer” track.
Learn more about Twin Saga, an upcoming fantasy MMO, by watching this subtitled developer video:
Lost Sector Online is “is a tactical free-to-play game that combines turn-based strategy and MMORPG in real time.” It’s currently looking at going to start beta testing in the middle third of 2016.
Crush Online is a sort-of MMO, sort-of MOBA that’s coming out in Europe this year. What does it look like? Hopefully this trailer can give you an idea, and if you’re interested after seeing it, you can sign up for the beta on the site.
What are the top 10 most played gods in SMITE? Here’s a rundown: