This week in MMO crowdfunding news,
Star Citizen went absolutely mad with infodumps, and I almost feel sorry for it because it got half buried by Blizzard. But Star Citizen actually turned seven years old this week, with alpha 3.7, new cosmetics and goodies, the new Pirate Swarm game mode. We even had an epic interview of our own with CIG’s Sean Tracy, and CIG posted the full version of its UK corporate report teased earlier this month (cue the armchair accountants). (Thanks, Quavers!)
Meanwhile, Portalarium announced it had
transferred owned by the lead dev on the project. It also admitted Kickstarter backers will Shroud of the Avatar over to a new company never see the physical book they were promised and will be compensated with some in-game items instead.
funded for over half a million dollars, Day of Dragons and Ship of Heroes both announced character creator betas, and then we deep-dived City of Titans , previewed Dual Universe , and counted down the list of the Ashes of Creation Apocalypse biggest MMO Kickstarters ever.
Read on for more on what’s been up with MMO crowdfunding over the last couple of weeks, plus our roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’re following!
VIDEO Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- Today marks another big installment for the alpha of Star Citizen. The 3.7 update should now be live for everyone as you read this, bringing along a variety of updates…
Interview: Star Citizen’s Sean Tracy on the gameplay features of alpha 3.7, live today
- Hey you know when's a good time to drop potentially bad news? Underneath somebody else's even bigger bad news. Apparently, today it's going to be the revelation that Portalarium has…
Shroud of the Avatar changes hands as Portalarium transfers assets to Catnip Games
- Yesterday, we covered the bizarre but perhaps expected news that Portalarium has transferred Shroud of the Avatar and other assets to Catnip Games, which is the new studio of Chris…
Shroud of the Avatar finally admits the Kickstarter book is not happening, offers in-game items instead
- The Lolosia Saga of AdventureQuest 3D continues with the game's latest update, introducing players to the hidden ninja location of Yokai Isle and a whole bunch of new things to…
AdventureQuest 3D opens up Yokai Isle in its latest update, preps Mogloween
- Ashes of Creation's battle royale-cum-testing ground Apocalypse kicked out an update yesterday that, among other things, offers a new place for players to slay one another in: the wintry Forest…
Ashes of Creation Apocalypse just rolled out a much smaller PvP map for testing
- The character creation beta for Ship of Heroes is coming quickly, set to arrive on November 1st. But you won't be limited to just creating your character and then doing nothing,…
Ship of Heroes shows off the hospital for the character creation beta
- Just an hour ago, we joked that City of Titans and Ship of Heroes were just about to have a big ol' showdown as the two City of Heroes-inspired MMOs…
Ship of Heroes’ character creation tool donor beta is set for November 1
- Ship of Heroes isn't the only superhero MMORPG in town that's getting a character builder out to its fans this month: City of Titans just announced that it's going to…
City of Titans’ avatar builder is coming to backers soon
- The critters of Temtem are the center of the action, being as the title is a Pokemon-inpsired game which funded last year. This is why one of the potential backer rewards…
Temtem shares the first backer-created creature design process
- How long do projects take in software development? The old standby is that you should take your most realistic estimate and double it, but it turns out that the estimates…
Fractured opens up a porting test weekend ahead of Alpha 2 in November
- Earlier in the month, VR MMO OrbusVR offered a look at new endgame content due with its forthcoming update. That update officially went live yesterday, bringing along with it new…
OrbusVR brings its new level 30 dungeons and new Shard dungeons online
- Remember this past summer when Citadel Studios announced that it was finally launching Legends of Aria on Steam with a huge overhaul patch that would shake up the game's ruleset,…
Legends of Aria is overhauling its PvP system once again
- The rise of crowdfunding in the mid-2010s swept a large wave of MMORPGs our way that might never have happened otherwise. For a while there, we were seeing new project…
Perfect Ten: Kickstarter MMOs that raised the most money
- Balancing the economy of Albion Online appears to be at the forefront of today's patch to the Percival update, which is mainly all about introducing more Silver sinks in the…
Albion Online increases Silver costs, lowers Transmutation costs, and tweaks some items
- The last few pieces of news coming out of Chronicles of Elyria have been all about its Kickstarter anniversary crowdfunding drive, which is perhaps to be expected considering the effort…
Chronicles of Elyria’s Kickstarter-versary enters its final week with one final stretch goal to unlock
- While the Minstrel class in Camelot Unchained is by no means finished, the weekly update now notes that the folks at City State Entertainment are focusing efforts on the Dark…
Camelot Unchained’s support class testing moves on to the Dark Fool
- Oh, great! Another new video from Albion Online with Robin Henkys and what looks like the world's most comfortable chair! Let me just open the link and... wait... who is…
Albion Online offers a closer look at its new Outlands PvP area
- Pantheon fans, if you haven't swung by the official site in a few days, you definitely should. Visionary Realms' Brad "Aradune" McQuaid has been busy indeed dropping dev blogs and…
Pantheon’s Brad McQuaid’s recent dev blogs cover everything from PvP to instancing
- Sometimes you have to root around in the Shroud of the Avatar update digest to find the interesting stuff. Digest #352 kind of has this problem, which is mostly about…
Shroud of the Avatar dates next SotACon event, releases more Episode 2 bundles
- A mere fortnight ago, the team behind Ashes of Creation took its MMO combat testing ground known as Apocalypse and opened the doors on Steam as a fully free-to-play title…
Fight or Kite: Impressions of Ashes of Creation Apocalypse, a solid fantasy battle royale nobody is playing
- Star Citizen has offered a couple of intriguing peeks into its world and its process with a couple of updates. In one update we got a look at how one…
Star Citizen goes over ship weapon concepting and offers a look at a new Star Marine map
- "Okay, so which blue is it again?" "The third one down." "Down from the top?" "Yes, Frank, that's what down means." "Okay, is this good?" "...dammit, Frank, no, you have…
Ship of Heroes will let players save and share a costume file
- Many times in a sandbox game, you have to make your own fun and set your own challenges. One such challenge in Elite: Dangerous is charting the fastest route from…
Computer science professor uses lessons he teaches to set a new flight record in Elite Dangerous
- Alpha 3.7.0 for Star Citizen is a pretty big deal for the game. It's been the subject of numerous Inside Star Citizen videos for the past few weeks and it…
Star Citizen recounts alpha 3.7.0 feature development in its September report as the update hits PTS
- Star Citizen and money: It's one of MMO players' favorite topics, right? Back in December of last year, Star Citizen studio Cloud Imperium announced a $46M private investment in the…
Star Citizen studio releases UK Annual Companies House Report for 2018
- It's happening, folks: Ship of Heroes is set to announce the date for its character creator tool this week, which means it's cranking up the hype machine with a new…
Ship of Heroes teases character creator tool beta with new preview video
- It appears that a number of Elite: Dangerous players are unhappy with the state of things in the space sandbox. In fact, they've drafted a formal petition to Frontier Developments…
Elite Dangerous addresses community petition over development ‘grievances’
- There must be a pastime of throwing cash in Soulbound Studios' direction among the members of the Chronicles of Elyria community because the kitty for the Kickstarter-versary crowdfunding event we…
Chronicles of Elyria’s Kickstarter-versary funding drive crests $560k, keeps on adding new goals
- At long last, City of Heroes players who have been aching for new story content have an option for exactly that with the release of the Homecoming Issue 26, page 3 patch.…
City of Heroes: Homecoming patches in the third part of Issue 26 with new stories and powers
- Camelot Unchained's latest newsletter has arrived, and in it, apart from the recap of development progress, is a deep-dive into how City State approaches the creation of new classes, something…
Camelot Unchained’s latest newsletter covers class design and differentiation in MMORPGs
- Day of Dragons has gotten just a sliver of coverage here on Massively OP as it headlined a crowdfunding column, but today it's getting a bunch more, as the game…
Multiplayer monster sandbox Day of Dragons just funded for over half a million dollars
- While we already knew that Shroud of the Avatar was going to start dressing up for the best holiday on Earth (Halloween) with Release 70, all we had was a…
Shroud of the Avatar’s spoopy Halloween release 70 is officially live
- If you were worried that your dreams of playing as a spider were in danger due to the rocky foundation that Trials of Ascension: Exile stands on, then you may…
Trials of Ascension: Exile gets bought by a player who vows to continue development
- This past Friday saw a developer livestream from the Ashes of Creation team with the aim of providing a bit more context on just what good a battle royale mode…
Ashes of Creation explains how Apocalypse battle royale has brought about improvements to the MMO
- You know that feeling when you follow a game's development and it just keeps getting better and better? I don't mean the promises of what's to come but the reality…
Preview: Dual Universe demos alpha 2’s player economy, solar system, and space stations
- There's been a little bit of a news burst coming out of the City of Titans camp. The devs have taken a moment to discuss what alpha and beta means…
City of Titans defines alpha and beta, teases a patcher, and shows off unisex outfits Ship of Heroes
VIDEO Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful, dev halted in 2018.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; beta began Oct 2016.
(Sandbox) – Launched July 2017, hit Steam May 2018. Albion Online
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016.
(Intrepid Studios) – Successful KS. Alpha zero. Ashes of Creation
(Cylinder) – Broke Protocol Unsuccessful KS. In free early access. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
( Caribbean Conquest Invenio) – First KS canceled, second ended unsuccessfully.
(Orode) – Codename Reality Kickstarter unsuccessful.
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
(Homecoming) – Monthly City of Heroes Homecoming donation rounds.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; Issue 0 delayed into 2019.
(Beawesome) – Kickstarter successful. Day of Dragons
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
(2Dogs) – Destiny’s Sword Kickstarter successful June 2019.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter. Probably dead.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, donor platform. Backer alpha.
( Eco Strange Loop Games) – Funded, now in alpha.
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded. Abandoned, then not?
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and fully launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
(Fire Hurts) – Endless Trials Kickstarter canceled.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
(PSB) – EverFeud Kickstarter canceled.
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
(Dynamight) – Fractured Kickstarter successful. Alpha 2.
( Global Adventures SubaGames) – Kickstarter funded.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, now allegedly in refund process.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
(Runewaker) – Funded and launched. Guardians of Ember
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo. Canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Funded and launched.
( Legends of Aria Citadel Studios) – Kickstarted as Shards Online. Early access.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended. Currently in beta.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Maestros of the Anthymn String Theory) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Maguss) – Indiegogo successful; open beta. Maguss
(Infinity Online Studios) – Mekria Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Ready-Up) – Oath Kickstarter funded.
(Ad Alternum) – OrbusVR KS funded March 2017. In early access.
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations. Pre-alpha.
(Brain Stone GmbH): First Kickstarter canceled, second funded. Pantropy
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Alderon) – Path of Titans Indiegogo.
(Craneballs) – Planet Nomads Kickstarted, early access launched sans multiplayer.
(Bebop Games) – Kickstarter funded May 2019. Playcraft
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries + Indiegogo. Early access.
(POW) – Project Oasis World Kickstarter unsuccessful.
( Pumpkin Online Monique) – Downgrading from MMORPG.
(Killerwhale) – RAW Kickstarter canceled by Kickstarter.
(Ben Olding) – Starfighter Infinity Kickstarter funded. Early access.
(Crema) – Temtem Kickstarter fully funded; now in alpha.
(Fairytale Distillery) – fka Das Tal; The Exiled KS unsuccessful. Early access.
– The Flower of Knighthood Kickstarter canceled.
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
(Idea Fabrik) – Kickstarted twice by A&B. Back in alpha. The Repopulation
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; in early access but not active dev.
(Tarhead Studio) – Kickstarter successful. RUiN
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
(Stormhaven) – Saga of Lucimia Indiegogo. Intermittent pre-alphas.
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon, Kickstarter funded.
(Heroic) – Ship of Heroes Kickstarter canceled, beta expected before 2020.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Soft launch July 2016. Launch March 2018.
(Defun) – Spycursion Kickstarter unsuccessful.
(Cloud Imperium) – Beta delayed until at least 2020. Squadron 42
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages. Backer alpha.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – Totally abandoned without a word. Now considered a scam.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017.
(Campfire Games) – Successful Kickstarter; in early access. War of Rights
(Ramen) – Kickstarter successfully funded. Zenith Star Citizen Live
Yes, some crowdfunded MMOs most definitely do succeed. But others crash and burn, and you need to hear about the whole spectrum of games that sought your money early in exchange for the promise of input and transparency. And that’s exactly what
Make My MMO
does every Saturday. Help us keep ’em accountable, would ya?