This week in MMO crowdfunding, MOP reader Winterskorn alerted us to the
Kickstarter for . It’s not a pure MMO, but it’s on our periphery as an “online creature survival sandbox game set in a large, beautiful, open world with multiple biomes.” Developer Beawesome Games sought $12,000, but as I type this, the Kickstarter’s already over $325,000 with more than a week remaining. And yes, you play as a dragon. Day of Dragons
Meanwhile, the Kickstarter for cyberpunk MMORPG
is now in the home stretch; with just a few days left to go, it’s now raised more than Zenith $230,000 after seeking only $25,000. Plus teased more patch notes, Valiance Online implemented its premium sub, Legends of Aria set September 23rd for closed beta, Cube World tackled class questions, Pantheon new currency and tutorial launched, and Elite Dangerous’ made plans to put up perma-servers for Apocalypse this coming week. Ashes of Creation
Read on for more on what’s been up with MMO crowdfunding over the last couple of weeks, plus our roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’re following!
Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- Do you have 30-odd minutes to yourself and want to hear about Dual Universe? Then your extremely specific needs are met as a podcast from the devs is now online…
Dual Universe’s new podcast talks up the features of alpha 2 and 3
- Tiny indie studio Elder Game is still doggedly working on the whimsical and weird MMORPG Project Gorgon, and as of today, the September patch has arrived, complete with more adjustments…
Project Gorgon’s September update touches combat, treasure, and skills
- Who doesn't love an adorable otter? Maniacs, that's who. And if you get yourself an adorable otter that can also carry you on its back, like the tidebreaker mount on…
Ashes of Creation previews the lore and creation of its adorable otter mount
- In the wake of Elite Dangerous' September patch, which ostensibly added a new newbie tutorial and revamped the cash shop to use a new currency called ARX, Frontier has been…
Here’s where Frontier stands on Elite Dangerous’ September patch bugfixing
- Last week, the video digest from Star Citizen was all about exploring caves and what you'd find within them such as mining deposits. So it would perhaps stand to reason…
Star Citizen nibbles on space rocks with a look at FPS mining
- If you remember the beginning of 2019 - yes, it's been like 100 years this year, but try - you'll recall that the Legends of Aria community was in uproar…
Legends of Aria implements optional premium sub, drops base game price permanently
- Most MMO anniversaries are to mark a game's launch date, but since Chronicles of Elyria still hasn't quite completed development yet, it has to mark the march of time another…
Chronicles of Elyria marks its crowdfunding anniversary with a contest and more crowdfunding
- Have you ever found yourself fighting an enemy and think, "gosh, this boss has really let himself go?" Because the latest patch for Albion Online literally describes the changes to the…
Albion Online improves guild logs and adjusts enemies with its latest update
- When Picroma's Wolfram von Funck resurfaced earlier this month to announce that 2013 voxelbox Cube World was not only back in development but hitting Steam with a beta, I was…
Cube World’s closed beta begins September 23 – go get your Steam keys
- Now calling it a "prequel" to the MMORPG itself, Intrepid Studios announced today that Ashes of Creation's Apocalypse battle royale title will hit early access on September 24th with persistent…
Ashes of Creation sends its Apocalypse battle royale to early access next week
- Visionary Realms is back this month with another look at Pantheon's development in its September newsletter. There's a new segment this round focused on the game's playable classes; not only…
Pantheon addresses questions for every class in the upcoming MMO
- My own experience with getting started in Elite: Dangerous went pretty smoothly, but I contend that the tutorials I went through could have been a bit better. With today's update,…
Elite Dangerous’ new tutorial and new shop currency are live today
- Let's take a quick break for what's fast becoming MMO Anniversary Week around here for a peek at a brand-new MMO still on the horizon: It's called Antares Open World,…
Antares Open World is an outrageously ambitious new MMO sandbox being built with SpatialOS
- It would probably stand to reason that my rise in confidence in Legends of Aria would take a hit this week. But mercifully, I'm so full of cold medicine that…
Choose My Adventure: Accidentally naked adventures in Legends of Aria
- The pure support class is one that is sorely missing from the modern MMORPG, so news that Camelot Unchained is working on some musically-minded support classes is definitely going to…
Camelot Unchained’s weekly update talks textures and Minstrels
- The headline event of Domain and Settlement Selection (DSS) for Chronicles of Elyria has hit a few speedbumps along the way in the form of players being unable to use…
Chronicles of Elyria domain settlement snags cause Soulbound Studios to issue store credit
- It can be really hard to swallow the idea that you can discuss server merges in any MMO in a good way. Sure, it means that a given server will have…
The Repopulation’s latest update is all about database improvements and server merges (in a good way)
- We assume most MMO players are at least aware of the more "adult" roleplaying that goes on in the quiet corners of our genre - it's just a thing, humans…
Players held a steamy Release 69 ‘dance party’ in Shroud of the Avatar
- It's an odd sort of day for Elite Dangerous, as the Frontier Store has gone dark - but only for a bitsy: It'll return refreshed as part of the September…
Elite Dangerous takes its cash shop offline for this week’s currency revamp
- Crowfall players have fought in the name of Gaea the Earth Mother, and now it's time to fight in the name of the goddess of magic. The Trials of the…
Crowfall’s ongoing Trials of the Gods moves on to Yaga, goddess of magic
- No one has a better Friday the 13th event than AQ3D, and this year there's a brand-new dungeon in Camp Gonnagetcha. Massively OPs MJ can't decide whether she will select…
The Stream Team: Experience AdventureQuest 3D’s new Friday the 13th dungeon
- While we've gotten a look at landmark locations a couple of times in City of Titans before, the latest preview post would be the first time we've seen these buildings…
City of Titans offers a look at the landmarks of Alexandria from inside the game’s world
- I have a really hard time taking anything seriously that refers to money as "bucks." You'll recall that I opened the Lawful Neutral column on virtual currency a while back…
Lawful Neutral: Examining Ashes of Creation’s controversial referral program
- The weekly Inside Star Citizen is once again an episode focusing all on one aspect of the developing game: caves. Covering everything from lighting and sound to generation tools and…
Inside Star Citizen goes spelunking with a full episode all about patch 3.7’s cave systems
- Over the course of the last few months, following the revelation of working City of Heroes server code out in the wild and the community's Herculean efforts to restore the…
TonyV leaves City of Heroes NCsoft negotiations, resigns from Titan Network
- The PTS for the City of Heroes Homecoming servers is looking to tweak the knobs of the rogue MMO a bit. Yesterday's patch offered up a beefy list of upcoming…
City of Heroes: Homecoming plays with Rage crashes, PvP stuns, and Tanker powers on the test server
- This week's update from Camelot Unchained hit a couple of pretty good milestones. In the regular Top Tenish write-up, the folks at City State Entertainment have gotten one step closer…
Camelot Unchained is nearly ready to set in-game traps and test its new NPC AI
- A common complaint among those who are watching the development of Chronicles of Elyria from the sidelines is that there's not much actual game being shown off, with only claiming…
Here’s roughly ten minutes of Chronicles of Elyria pre-alpha gameplay
- Zenith, the plucky little cyberpunk VR MMO that rocketed onto Kickstarter last month, has made it to another funding stretch goal. The project now has raked in over $200,000 with…
Crowdfunding for VR cyberpunk MMO Zenith hits $200,000 with new playable race
- Now this is an interesting development, and very possibly a hint at things to come, though there's no official confirmation of legitimacy one way or the other: The devs of…
City of Heroes Homecoming asks players what they want from a licensed server
- The one thing I like most about sandbox MMOs -- and the one thing that I'll probably end up doing if I find one that sticks -- is crafting that…
Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen discusses crafting in its August developer roundtable
- This past week has been the best week I’ve had in Crowfall all year. First, ArtCraft dropped a weekend-long event that really turned heads, and then it immediately followed that…
Fight or Kite: Crowfall’s new Infected content is the best thing added to the pre-alpha
- If you thought you could get away with a bit of gold-selling or gold-buying on the side while participating in City of Heroes' rogue server community, think again, as apparently…
City of Heroes Homecoming is now banning accounts for… real-money trading Star Citizen
VIDEO Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful, dev halted in 2018.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; beta began Oct 2016.
(Sandbox) – Launched July 2017, hit Steam May 2018. Albion Online
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016.
(Intrepid Studios) – Successful KS. Alpha zero. Ashes of Creation
(Cylinder) – Broke Protocol Unsuccessful KS. In free early access. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
( Caribbean Conquest Invenio) – First KS canceled, second ended unsuccessfully.
(Orode) – Codename Reality Kickstarter unsuccessful.
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
(Homecoming) – Monthly City of Heroes Homecoming donation rounds.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; Issue 0 delayed into 2019.
(Beawesome) – Day of Dragons Kickstarter ends Sept 30
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
(2Dogs) – Destiny’s Sword Kickstarter successful June 2019.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter. Probably dead.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, donor platform. Backer alpha.
( Eco Strange Loop Games) – Funded, now in alpha.
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded. Abandoned, then not?
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and fully launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
(Fire Hurts) – Endless Trials Kickstarter canceled.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
(PSB) – EverFeud Kickstarter canceled.
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
(Dynamight) – Fractured Kickstarter successful. Alpha 2.
( Global Adventures SubaGames) – Kickstarter funded.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, now allegedly in refund process.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
(Runewaker) – Funded and launched. Guardians of Ember
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo. Canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Funded and launched.
( Legends of Aria Citadel Studios) – Kickstarted as Shards Online. Early access.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended. Currently in beta.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Maestros of the Anthymn String Theory) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Maguss) – Indiegogo successful; open beta. Maguss
(Infinity Online Studios) – Mekria Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Ready-Up) – Oath Kickstarter funded.
(Ad Alternum) – OrbusVR KS funded March 2017. In early access.
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations. Pre-alpha.
(Brain Stone GmbH): First Kickstarter canceled, second funded. Pantropy
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Alderon) – Path of Titans Indiegogo.
(Craneballs) – Planet Nomads Kickstarted, early access launched sans multiplayer.
(Bebop Games) – Kickstarter funded May 2019. Playcraft
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries + Indiegogo. Early access.
(POW) – Project Oasis World Kickstarter unsuccessful.
( Pumpkin Online Monique) – Downgrading from MMORPG.
(Killerwhale) – RAW Kickstarter canceled by Kickstarter.
(Ben Olding) – Starfighter Infinity Kickstarter funded. Early access.
(Crema) – Temtem Kickstarter fully funded; now in alpha.
(Fairytale Distillery) – fka Das Tal; The Exiled KS unsuccessful. Early access.
– The Flower of Knighthood Kickstarter canceled.
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
(Idea Fabrik) – Kickstarted twice by A&B. Back in alpha. The Repopulation
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; in early access but not active dev.
(Tarhead Studio) – Kickstarter successful. RUiN
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
(Stormhaven) – Saga of Lucimia Indiegogo. Intermittent pre-alphas.
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon, Kickstarter funded.
(Heroic) – Ship of Heroes Kickstarter canceled, beta expected before 2020.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Soft launch July 2016. Launch March 2018.
(Defun) – Spycursion Kickstarter unsuccessful.
(Cloud Imperium) – Beta delayed until at least 2020. Squadron 42
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages. Backer alpha.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – Totally abandoned without a word. Now considered a scam.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017.
(Campfire Games) – Successful Kickstarter; in early access. War of Rights
(Ramen) – Zenith Kickstarter ends Sept 26. Day of Dragons
Yes, some crowdfunded MMOs most definitely do succeed. But others crash and burn, and you need to hear about the whole spectrum of games that sought your money early in exchange for the promise of input and transparency. And that’s exactly what
Make My MMO
does every Saturday. Help us keep ’em accountable, would ya?